1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Herbal Vs. Prescription - St. John's Wort?

Discussion in 'Medications & Substances' started by Clydiechick, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Clydiechick

Clydiechick New Member

Hi

I posted a thread yesterday but it has disappeared :-{

Wondering if anybody has tried St John's Wort and how it went. And if anybody knows if it has any negative side effects when taken with prescribed meds.

I am on Efexor and Lamictal, but am trying to wean myself off lamictal and try St John's Wort.

Any suggestions, advice?:think:

Thanks
    Clydiechick
  2. Tija

Tija New Member

Clydiechick: Yes, what happened to your original post? That is wierd!?

I was one of the ones who replied to you. I don't remember exactly what I said :doh: Blame it on my PTSD! LOL -I'll just start fresh!

I tried St. John's Wort for about 3 months. Long story short, it didn't work for me. It all but left me feeling sleepy and letharic during the day. I believe St. John's is really only for mild depression, so I don't think it is really suited for those at the height of PTSD. Still, I guess it all depends where you are on the recovery scale, and so I would never say it wouldn't work for someone else.. It just didn't work for me. Also I am pretty sure you cannot take any type of SSRI's with St. John's Wort.

Aside from St. John's Wort, you could also try some natural neurotransmitters like HTP-5, L-Tyrosine, Phosphatidylserine, GABA, L-SunTheanine, SAM-e. I tried these too, but none made a significant impression...but that's me.

I did find some herbs, though, that have been pretty helpful. I buy them in bulk at a local store so they are always very fresh and *potent*. :smile: I drink 2 cups of tea (am and pm) of the nervous system herbs, and 1 cup of the adrenal herb, daily. They can can also be taken as needed. Ones for soothing and calming the nervous system and helping with anxiety palpitations are: Motherwort, Yarrow and Oatstraw. The one for strengthening and nourishing the Adrenals, is Nettle.

Take Care:rolleyes: Tija
  3. Perspective11

Perspective11 New Member

I remember looking up St John's Wort information and it did say not to take with any SSRI's like Tija mentioned already.

My sister did take it before she got onto more potent medications and it helped her.

I have really bad reactions to all the medications that I've tried so far, so I've been trying some different "natural" things instead.
  4. Artemis

Artemis New Member

St Johns is also a nervous system tonic, you can expect best results with long term use as it slowly start the healing process on all the damaged nerves. You can combine it with other calming and sedating herbs in the meanwhile depending on what your symptoms are. Passionflower, skullcap and hops are good for sleeping or calming. Do check the interactions and dont use high doses of the herbs while on meds, start increasing the herb doses as the med doses reduce. Also this is a slow process and best handled by a naturopath/herbalist. The gentelest way to start herbs is by taking them as teas, this way they also tend not to interact so much with meds.