1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Hi From NYC - Ignored My PTSD For Eight Years

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by stellastar, Dec 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stellastar

stellastar New Member

My name is Katherine, I live in NYC, and I have been pretty much ignoring a diagnosis of PTSD I received about eight years ago, in conjunction with ongoing depression and anxiety disorder. I am mostly worried at this point about issues of anger repression and anger management. Everyone thinks I am the most cheerful person alive, but I feel that I am often on the verge of exploding. I am very confused by PTSD as a condition at this point, and am finally realizing I need to do some exploring...and since I can't afford therapy at the moment--this seems like a good starting place.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Hi stella, welcome to the forum. Yep, dismissing PTSD eventually catches up with us all... sooner or later it wins, its just a matter of when! Once it does though, its face it and live life, or ignore it and exist.

4. nov_silence

nov_silence Well-Known Member

Glad you are here. Can definately relate to the anger issues. You are not alone. Welcome!

5. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

hey, stella. welcome.
    cathy

6. nov_silence

If you can talk about it, what caused your PTSD?

7. mouse

mouse Well-Known Member

Welcome Stella, Funny how no mater how hard we try to hide/ignore our PTSD it always is there waiting. Hope that you can find some good support here, I have.

8. stellastar

stellastar New Member

The cause? Witnessing the severe physical abuse of my best friend and her sister. And a series of sexual attacks in my childhood from a number of different perpetrators.

9. nov_silence

I also suffered sexual abuse in my past... and my parents were very physically abusive to me and my sister and my cousin/brother (ah, something else to write about in my trauma diary).

Keep sharing, we are listening. Don't let shame get the best of you.

10. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

Welcome Stella. I'm glad you've found us.

11. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Hi Stella and welcome.