• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer Hi, Have Had Emdr But Feel Very Unwell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiDevon

New Here
Hi there, I've only just discovered this site. I was diagnosed two years ago and started EMDR through the nhs earlier this year.

It's complicated as I have suffered from ME for ten years and have experienced a rapid decline in my physical health during my treatment. I've had to take two weeks between each session to even start to regain physical strength to take on another session. I have had moments where I've felt a sense of freedom and things shifting during my EMDR and felt some promise but then always a worsening of physical health.

I had to cancel my last session (no.14, I'm due one or two more before I've had my allowed amount; I've tackled 8 targets in that time from 36 years of my life) and have tried to rebook but no one has got back to me. It's been nearly four weeks. I feel left in the lurch and it's adding to my PTSD symptoms. I don't feel well at all with my PTSD and physical health.

I've recently received notice to move out of my home (I'm a single mum with teenage son and our fourth move in six years, not out of choice) due to the owners needing it back and this has felt like a final straw. In the last two years alone we've returned from overseas, I've got divorced, nursed my son through severe anxiety, lost my beloved career a second time due to ME worsening and handled my abusive ex. Each day I feel I'm on the verge of a complete physical and mental breakdown, then lift briefly, then hit rock bottom again. I can't work out if my mental health is making my physical health worse or vice versa and don't know what to do. I'm seeing a gp later this week but I know they can't help with ME and can only change my medication.

Am I experiencing prolonged processing? Will it get better? I can't access my safe place and feel permanently on alert and fearful.

I know that's a lot of info for an intro! Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Hi there, I've only just discovered this site. I was diagnosed two years ago and started EMDR throug...
I'm so sorry you are going through all this. With everything going on, it's no wonder you are feeling the way you are. Even if your GP can only prescribe, I would still share with them what is going on in your life. Mind/Body connection is a tight bond and we need to try to feed both positive things. I'm not very good at advice these days, but I do wish you peace and happiness

Thank you so much. You may not feel you can offer advice but your response, understanding and kindness mean a lot.

Wishing you happiness and peace too.

Hi there, it seems like you have so much on your plate right now and I am so sorry that you are facing what seems to be the world with no help. I really hope you are able to find affordable housing for you and your son, and also regain strength to continue bettering yourself. I can only imagine what you are going through and hope that you keep reaching out and fighting. There is another side to all of this and it does get better or more manageable. Sending prayers your way

Hi there, I've only just discovered this site. I was diagnosed two years ago and started EMDR throug...
When doing that type of treatment, it's normal for things to get worse before they get better. If you feel like you need to take a break from EMDR, it's okay to let your therapist know this. They may be able to do some additional resourcing with you prior to resuming processing, especially if you're not able to access your safe place. It's also hard to do EMDR processing when you have a lot of significant changes taking place in your life such as a move or instability in your living environment so your therapist may take these factors into consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back