• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Hi - Husband Has PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heartborken,
Hi! Im new here too and carer as well. My husband servered two tours in OIF and I am just as lost as your are right now. I too am interested in info on how to keep my sanity and how to help.
You and me are not alone in our quest for these things. At least theres some comfort in that.

I'm new here too. One problem with PTSD and the military is that often the symptoms don't show up until a few months later. I'm very happy that they are finally fixing the problems with the VA, and I can think of a couple of ways you can help now.

First, try to convince him to go in for treatment. This may take time because he may be reluctant. You'll need some patience here.

Also, once he's in the VA program, you may need to be his assertive advocate. I'd like to say the system will work smoothly to help him, but that's just a fantasy. You'll need to insist on he rights for treatment when speaking to the VA.

Also, please be aware that people with PTSD often have something trigger a massive defense posture. That is to say, he may lash out, and the person he will lash out to most is the person he feels is safest to do this with. (Not that he's doing this on purpose.)

Also, of course, you may wish to encourage him to sign on here...

believe

Heartbroken,

I believe that communication is the most important thing in life and in love. You need to clearly and effectively communicate your love and your doubts about the love that is in your marriage right now. Also, you should know that PTSD takes time. It can be a very slow process but i believe that you should not give up on the fact that your once beloved and caring husband will come back. You should really communicate the direness of the situation but do not make it hopeless. tell him how badly you want your marriage to work out and believe that it will. This will up the chances that one day you will wake up to that caring husband that you love.

I hope my message has helped please respond your thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back