1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Hi, I am Another New Member - PTSD In My Life

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Borderline, Dec 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borderline

Borderline Member

Just wanted to say hello, :hello:

I am 42 and I live in Scotland. I have had PTSD for much of my life. Finally found the courage to go to my doctor last year, had it diagnosed, no treatment yet.

I find it very difficult to talk about, I am however keen to learn as much as possible. I have found that my symptoms have changed a bit as time has gone on, for better or worse. I am unsure of what to expect if I ever get any treatment. When things are going well, I feel that "letting sleeping dogs lie" is a good policy. When things are bad, I become very withdrawn, using all my energy to fight, control or avoid things.

At present nightmares are a regular problem. I fear certain burning smells big time. They have a mainline to the darkest depths of my mind. Literally knocking me over, instantly transporting me back to the place I fear the most, these reactions are less frequent now, but the terror is just as vivid as the day it started.

I don't know if I have anything to contribute but I will try. I intend to search the forum for the names of books that I could read, any advice would be welcome.

I hope this is the start of something positive. Thanks for reading this.
    G

Where is the spell checker?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2013
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

welcome to the forum, borderline. this is a great place. look around. there are some others that have issues with fire/smoke smells. maybe they can be especially helpful for you.
    cathy

4. mouse

mouse Well-Known Member

Welcome Borderline, I to have had PTSD for many years and I loved the idea of letting sleeping dogs lie except one day my went sleepwalking and bit me in the butt so hard that I had to seek treatment which is still rather minimal I might add but meds to regulte things right now and I find the support from this site is so amazing, and helpfull Good luck with your search for peace and know that we all will help as we can.

5. kimG

kimG Well-Known Member

Hey Border...glad you found us.

I used to subscribe to the belief about leaving sleeping dogs lie, but I found out that when the sleeping dog lies he just grows bigger and bigger. Eventually, he'll want his presence known and will do whatever it takes to make everyone around him respond. The only way to keep the dog sleeping is to face it head on...talk about it, accept it, deal with it, live with it. It really will get better, you just have to (really) want it to be better.

And don't worry about whether or not you have something to offer. Everyone has something to offer. Just posting things about what you're experiencing, what you got PTSD from, and how it makes you feel will help at least one person (I'd bet many, many more, though). After all, if none of us thought we had anything to offer and then didn't post anything, this place would be so boring!

So....grab on, hold on tight...get ready for the ride of your life!

6. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

Welcome Borderline! I like the name...because we all feel kind of like walking on a tight rope. So good that you said hello and I hope that we get to know you soon as you have been getting to know us...

What books exactly? So we can be of better help?

7. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Hey borderline, welcome to the forum. Don't worry about trying to contribute to others as such, just be yourself and that is what contributes. We all give to others, most of the time not realizing, by simply saying how we feel, what we do that works for us, what isn't working, our lives... just plain old honest self. Really, thats all there is too it. You would be quite surprised just how many people each member here helps, by doing nothing more than talking about themselves.

Definitely..maybe likes this.
  8. goingonhope

goingonhope Member Premium Member

Borderline, Wanna' welcome you here. Do believe you'll find much support with us. Hope to see you around the board. I too have had PTSD much of my life. Much sooner than the diagnosis came. Welcome! ...and :hello:

9. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Welcome to the board. I pretty much do not know life without PTSD but am familiar with the highs and lows of it and symptoms changing through times. When it became official I don't know really... Confusing. I was just given the official dignosis this past Summer.

Believe it or not you have already begun your own treatment, you went to a doc to acknowledge this and found us and that means you are thinking about working on this, relating with those as you and seeking info either here or books. Those are steps so don't think less.

I can relate a bit on the burning smells. I cannot tell an actual burn from a flashback, I have to ask my husband or those around me. I get flashbacks of them and get very... Well, a bit jumpy and freaked a bit when I smell a burn. I have an arsonist brother to thank for that one.

Books to read. For me the ones that help (I have a small library now of BS) Feeling Good Handbook, I Can't Get Over It, and PTSD workbook.

Like Anthony said about the contributing. And well, the spell check, you are SOL LOL. But I don't think that is all bad. When we are overly stressed and frantic it is good to know that and it is reflected in our typing.

10. GR-ass

GR-ass Well-Known Member

Hee, I like the idea of letting sleeping dogs lie.

Only Mine aren't sleeping anymore. They are vocal and want to bite back.

Hi, welcome, dont worry bout a spellcheck, we don't mind
    Really.
    cass

11. Borderline

Borderline Member

Hi all.
    Thanks for the welcome. Had a good look round the forum, lots to take in.
    Had a bit of a difficult weekend but am feeling much better today. I did not realise what a diverse range of members and the different ways ptsd effects sufferers and those close to them. Have read a few things which have made me think, all I have to do is to find the energy to do something positive with my condition and take my life forward.

G.

12. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

Welcome boarderline. It's the tuffest think that I know of to deal with. Know all about the smells. You found your friends.

13. wolfkitty

wolfkitty Member

welcome! I have had PTSD since I was young around six. Wasn't diagnosed until just about two years ago. So glad to finally have a path to take. For so long I thought I was all alone! So glad to welcome you here!