1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Hi I'm New - Running Out of Treatment Options

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rob_4760, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rob_4760

rob_4760 New Member

Hi my name is Robin I have Chronic ptsd and anxiety problems as well as serious anger problems that I have suffered from for four years. It was caused by a work accident I was attacked and was biting and his blood was in my eyes and mouth. I was informed that the person was positive for both hep c and hiv. I received the aids cocktail for 30 days. I was then sent to a psychologist who said I had ptsd and anxiety and anger issues I have received CBT and exposure therapy and drugs. I have been taking Nu sertraline, gabapentine, seroquel, diazepam, lorazepam and nexum. My care givers (psychologist and psychiatrist) advised me that the only thing left to try is emdr. I,m very concerned that this treatment will result in serious problems at home. My wife has said that she is not going to put up with the problems I had before as I'm doing better at home. So I'm trying to find information to submit to disability if needed. I don't feel comfortable with the information that I have regarding this form of treatment and if there is more recent information that would be helpful. With being on disability they say you must accept the treatment offered or your benefits can be terminated. I thank you for having this web site.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

First I am sorry to hear your wife is not being as supportive as many of us need but others I guess can only handle so much, we do not get a choice in it on the other hand.

Now EMDR is very scary but I think because it is used too widely. Like for example for multiple traumas. Then it is a no no and end results are bad. So abuse, war, and anything longterm is a not a good idea. But for a single incident it seems to work pretty well with a doctor who knows how to do it properly. Then again you will still get different results here and there.

There are many discussions here on EMDR, just search on the site.

Last but not least, welcome to the forum.

4. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Hi Robin, welcome to the forum.

5. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

Hi Robin,

Welcome to the forum........

6. lovesthewind

lovesthewind New Member

Hi Rob. I'm new on this forum. I went from a very successful career to being on disability both for the traumatizing physical injuries and complex ptsd. I've not encountered being required to accept certain therapies, so I hope that helps with that question. When I applied for disability, the diagnosing therapist submitted the information to SSA and also suggested emdr, but I was not required to go through emdr, though it was suggested it might be the only effective therapy, for me. Each person is different, so a less intensive therapy might be helpful to try as emdr can feel scary, knowing it could release repressed memories, during the healing process. One reason I was told by SSA that one is not forced into whatever therapy is available is that for example, some like me, cannot afford therapy of any kind on disability income. A good resource is the Center for Disabilities. They're in all states and to date, have been the most helpful resource I've found to answer questions.

7. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Hi Robin, Welcome to the forum.

bec

8. rob_4760

rob_4760 New Member

I guess I should have said that she has gone though hell with me. I don't blame her in any way I was very angry and broke alot of things I now go to a anger management course. She feels like the meds are helping and she is scared to go backwards because of the horror stories I hear about EMDR. I've had numerous close calls and we think that is part of the reason I'm having so much trouble.

9. becvan

Robin,

EMDR is very effective for a single trauma. So, if your only trauma was the work incident, then chances are it might work for you. However, if there is other trauma's it might not be a good idea. EMDR is like any other treatment. It works for some and doesn't for others.

You have to apply therapy and techniques to you as you need them.

Hope that helps you with your decision about EMDR some.

bec

10. rob_4760

rob_4760 New Member

I had alot of close calls 3 times stab with needles also alot of comments like we will kill you and your family plus I was stab with a razor knife. The people I arrested were usally high on drugs and also alot of gang members. The gang members are told to fight so they don't look like wimps to the other gang members. I'm not a big guy so alot tried to get away because of my size. I'm mostly scared of going back to the way it was when I very angry and taking it out on my family. I stay a home alot so when I get angry everybody in the house suffers. My family has put up with alot and I only have them I've lost all my friends. I sometimes wonder how my wife stays with someone as crazy as I must be.

11. becvan

If those close calls haunt you and you haven't dealt with them yet, then no I would not recommend EMDR at this point.

I'm sure we have all struggled with taking it out on our loved ones. It's taken a lot of work for me to get to the point we are at in our home. We have safety plans in place for our reactions and what we need, so that we can follow them without causing harm. You might want to consider this also. However it does require that those you live with be on board with it and follow those safety plans.

From what I've read, there are a few issues about your healing and how it's going to be done. If your fighting your wife about how to heal, I don't think you will make much progress. Perhaps you can get her to read the carer's section? There are a few sticky threads that would be of interest, as they explain PTSD, give tips for carers and might help her to cope also.

bec

12. rob_4760

rob_4760 New Member

Thank you I take her to my doctors once in while. I think alot of my problem with emdr is I'm tired of thinking about those things and have tried alot to forget them. I don't sleep much and not at night. I really like this forum because I can finally talk about these issues. I don't like to talk to my wife about alot of my issue because I fell weak.

13. rob_4760

rob_4760 New Member

Emdr

I.ve begun emdr I have had 2 sessions and not ot sure at this point as to what I'm to notice. All I notice is a headache, confusing and advoiding the subject with my wife. As I don't have a say because of wcb I will try two more before I make a decision. Still very scared and concerded because of the things already talked about appear to be bothering me. I have not sleep much aswell as bad stomach problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar