1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Hi - My First Time to a PTSD Website

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by socrates70, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. socrates70

socrates70 New Member

For some silly reason I feel nervous and i can't even see who I might be speaking t:confused:h well.I've been living with and trying to get over PTSD for sixteen years due to child-hood abuse.I,m only in my mid thirties so it's taken a fair chunk out of my life so far as I'm sure it has many others on this site.I spent four years in therapy and have had times of inner peace and serenity.Unfortunatly now isn't one of those times and hasn't been for quite a while but I try to remain eternaly optimistic.tThe therapist I was seeing was having a difficult time herself and she admited that she was taking it out on her patients,this has left not feeling as though I can trust another therapist because it was abig leap of faith to do so to start with.This has left me ina state of limbo somewhat but as I say optimistic.I think that asite like this is so good it gives people a to a chance to see they're not the only ones who go through these things.Also it gives people achance to identify with people in similar cicumstances.If you' gotten this far thanks for reading.Bye.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Hi Socrates, welcome to the forum.

4. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

Welcome Socrates,

Love your screen name. Don't give up on your therapist search, eh? There are a lot of good ones out there. I think having a professional to yak at once a week is pretty important. Hang in there.

Hodge

5. socrates70

socrates70 New Member

Thanks Hodge,I really appreciate the encouragement.I think you're 100% right and it's next to impossible to try and unravel this thing on your own.Also there has been a benefit to going it alone for the last three years in that when the time ultimately comes and I've sought-ed all my issues I'll be able to go it alone and do all right.For now I still have some work to do and just yesterday decided to take the plunge and try another therapist,it's a bit nerve wracking but I'm mainly excited at the prospect of moving on after being stuck for awhile now.Coincadently today I had a call about possibly being able to change my living situation which is less than ideal and a cotributing factor,fingers crossed.Thanks again Hodge for the encouragement I really appreciate it.
    Thanks also Anthony for the welcome.I've been reading some of the forums it seems through your generosity of time and efforts you've helped a lot of people.That must be really satisfying in an age where not many people care for to many others outside of themselves.Maybe that's to harsh a generalisation because there's obviously a lot of caring people on this site and I consider myself to be caring person.I think as people become marginalised in society(that's society as a whole,just seems to be the way at the moment)it's harder for people to find an avenue or venue to express that softer side safely.In that I mean that people seem to mistake kindness for weakness out there in the world and try to take advantage which is unfortunate.I think if people on an individual basis become more caring and act on it that's the only way the world is going to change for the better.Getting on this site and having a read is what gave me the impetus to find a new therapist an try and get going again so coming here has already been worth my while.Thanks again.See Ya, Socrates.

6. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Mate, excellent that your already benefiting from the site. The power of the web truely is great, because instead of only being able to help a few in one lifetime, this site can help thousands across the world, those then helping others locally or whom they know personally, and so the power of the web continues. I agree, there are a shitload of selfish people in this world, though certainly plenty who still do care.

7. pandora

pandora I'm a VIP

welcome to the forum~!!

8. twodogen

twodogen New Member

understand not trusting

hey,
    understand not trusting. it feels that way every time I start over with a therapist or doctor due to whatever the situation is. I'm in mid-forties and just starting the hard work and have lost my job because of it. it sucks.

9. Vorzha

Vorzha Member

Hello and welcome!

Good on ya for trying a new therapist, I hope it goes well and that you "click" with him/her.

And double good luck on changing your living situation. It can be soooo helpful. I went from living in a slum in a large American city to living in a quiet suburb in Brisbane, AU with my boyfriend and some great housemates. It has made the difference between ina bility to stop the downward spiral to actually being able to know I'll make it through this. :)

Best wishes!

10. Wookie58

Wookie58 New Member

Ptsd

:eek: My first visit to this forum gave me a night chockful of nightmare(s). Smashing, crashing, and even drowning in turbulent waters?! :wall: But I know from what Wendy discussed with me exposure theraphy is part of healing the Past.
    The first three years of life spent in an apartment with a father who was later diagnosed with borderline personality disorder plus other stuff. Abuse cast it's dark shadows over my life in the womb. My dad attacked mom while she was pregnant with me and I almost died. Witnessing him repeatedly attempting to stab her with butcher's knives. Cops called to find holes in the walls. That was the contents of my dreams when the past started visiting me at night.
    Physical, emotional, and diverse types of abuse throughout the years.
    Always wrong whenever I expressed anger of any king. Crazy, stupid, wrong.
    Now since I've been living in a place with no relatives present is the first time I've experienced peace except for nightmares. My truamas always deeply buried. My first flashback occuring in my waking hours last year.
    Gotta keep on going! Keep strong!
    Congradulations to us all. :eek:ccasion:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar