1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Hi - Struggling With PTSD

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by PTSDd_Off, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PTSDd_Off

PTSDd_Off Member

Hi everyone. Good to find a safe place to meet others in a similar situation.

I'm 43 and have recently been diagnosed through DSM IV and ICD 10 with Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (CPTSD) following nine months of Clinical Depression. My CPTSD is overlaid with a Panic Disorder. All of this was brought about through child abuse and it's taken me this long to acknowledge something was wrong and to do something about it.

I'm currently seeing a psychiatrist and am on Zoloft for the time being.

It's a difficult journey but I remain positive and driven in my determination to control this thing.

I'm looking forward to discussing this with others in the forum, mapping the journey and, possibly, meeting up with other local sufferers - after all, there's strength in numbers and mutual support is one of the best therapies.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

welcome to the forum, po.
    cathy

4. willing

willing Active Member

Welcome Pstd'd off,
    Funny clever name. I am glad you found this. Isn't the internet a miracle worker when it comes to finding good stuff. And I see you are from Anthony's area. There are people from everywhere here. Anyway, I too am 44 but still in diagnosis stage...I think my current psych doc doesn't like labeling with diagnosis'. Also I suffered from sexual abuse. I am on Resperidone right now. The Lexapro pushed me into a manic so now perhaps Bipolar is in the picture. Just keep posting and you'll be even more positive how this site can help.
    Patty

5. willing

willing Active Member

Complex PSTD Article

This is the [DLMURL="http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread4287.html"]article on Complex PTSD[/DLMURL] that I found to really help and gave me something to really dig my teeth into. I am going to give it to my therapist tomorrow. He specializes in PTSD.

6. PTSDd_Off

PTSDd_Off Member

Thanks guys. The internet is a great tool - found the Wikepedia articles enlightening also although nothing beats a professional opinion. Now that I know what I'm dealing with I can work with 'it' - know your enemy as the saying goes - discover it's weaknesses and through that you can defeat it but of course, also know what resources you have so you can develop the most appropriate strategy to win (bit of Sun Tzu's "Art of War" there).

Willing - sorry to read about your own experience. I can only imagine what such abuse must do to someone. Mine was physical & emotional by my Father (now deceased) all the way throughout my childhood. I saw a great movie last night - by way of homework from my psych - "Life as a House" - have a look but do so on your own at first as you should experience 'the message' personally rather than being influenced by other's opinions. Take notes as to how it made you feel, who you identified with and what was said that meant something to you.

7. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Welcome to the forum PTSD'd.... like the name by the way. Look forward to chatting with you more.

8. willing

willing Active Member

Ptsd'd Off,
    I a have seen that movie but I can't remember much. What I related to was the movie Mysterious Skin and Shortbus. Really good and both touched me deeply. I too look forward to chatting more.
    Patty

9. PTSDd_Off

PTSDd_Off Member

Thanks Patty - I'll have a look for those titles tonight.

Anthony & Patty - look forward to talking more also.

10. map9

map9 Active Member

Clever Name!

Hi PO, I'm new too and have many similar problems that you do. Welcome aboard. For years I struggled trying to find a place to fit in. Honestly, this place is like a dream come true. I can't thank Anthony enough, plus I laugh every time I see the dog on the forum logo. Take your time and read the posts, let us know how your doing and what helped you the most. We all need every bit of help we can get. Glad you found the forum and hope it helps you as much as it has helped me. Love, map9

11. PTSDd_Off

PTSDd_Off Member

Thanks Map. The name seemed appropriate :)

12. YoungAndAngry

YoungAndAngry Well-Known Member

welcome PTSD'd Off, I like the name too, lol

13. NotDepressed

NotDepressed Member

Is it a dog or a pig? I thought it was a pig.

Welcome PTSD'd off. I'm new, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar