1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Hi There - I Am A Medic Unsure If I Have PTSD But Family Thinks So

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SeaFoam, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeaFoam

SeaFoam Member

So i'm not so sure I have PTSD, but a lot of my friends and family think so and i'm starting to think so also. Anyways, here's a little about me.. I'm currently a medic in Iowa and have been in fire/medic activities for 6 years now. I have seen a lot of horrible things but it has never really bothered me. Then a year ago (September 6th, 06) I was in a bad motorcycle accident.. Shattered my pelvis, broke L5 vertibrae, broke 3 ribs, punctured both lungs. It took me about 2 and a half months to learn to walk again.. It seems like lately things have been getting worse though, I don't trust anyone and i'm always thinking the worst. I had an anxiety attack a couple times, once when I was at home and I just had like a flashback about the accident.. The other time was when I took a pelvic fracture patient. Sure I have nightmares but I haven't really thought much into it. I have noticed though that I have been getting meaner, I actually called to set up an appointment to talk to someone because the other night I was out with friends.. Everyone started fighting, I freaked out - I said some horrible things to them, my family, my girlfriend and totally destroyed my stuff... I have to replace drywall now, a door, some mirrors, a computer... In short it looks like a tornado came through. I feel so ashamed of what I did and that it got this bad. Luckly everyone has been understanding and I have said sorry for it, my family, friends and girlfriend all think I should talk to someone, I think I do to. What are all of your thoughts on this...

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Welcome to the forum. Talking to someone sounds like a very good idea if you have more than a few people thinking it is a good idea and suggesting it (and trashing the home is a tell tale clue). Plenty of info here too.

4. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

Hi SeaFoam,

Welcome to the forum.......:hello:

5. wildfirewildone

wildfirewildone Well-Known Member

:hello: I'm glad you found us.....sounds like you're acting out [trashing your stuff] What your family and friends are agreeing is that you need to talk to some one....I hope that you will do that asap.....I know it's a scary proposition but you'll be glad you made the effort!!!!.....GIVE PEACE A CHANCE

6. SeaFoam

SeaFoam Member

I just read the understanding PTSD pdf file.. So from what I understand is since I was in the Army (no combat) and because I of my job (firemedic) that can make things worse?

7. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Welcome Seafoam!

bec

8. vst

vst Active Member

A tardy hello, but welcome Seafoam. I also agree that talking with someone will help. It isn't easy, but it does help.
    vst

9. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Welcome to the forum,

Lisa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar