• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Hi There - I Am A Medic Unsure If I Have PTSD But Family Thinks So

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaFoam

Learning
So i'm not so sure I have PTSD, but a lot of my friends and family think so and i'm starting to think so also. Anyways, here's a little about me.. I'm currently a medic in Iowa and have been in fire/medic activities for 6 years now. I have seen a lot of horrible things but it has never really bothered me. Then a year ago (September 6th, 06) I was in a bad motorcycle accident.. Shattered my pelvis, broke L5 vertibrae, broke 3 ribs, punctured both lungs. It took me about 2 and a half months to learn to walk again.. It seems like lately things have been getting worse though, I don't trust anyone and i'm always thinking the worst. I had an anxiety attack a couple times, once when I was at home and I just had like a flashback about the accident.. The other time was when I took a pelvic fracture patient. Sure I have nightmares but I haven't really thought much into it. I have noticed though that I have been getting meaner, I actually called to set up an appointment to talk to someone because the other night I was out with friends.. Everyone started fighting, I freaked out - I said some horrible things to them, my family, my girlfriend and totally destroyed my stuff... I have to replace drywall now, a door, some mirrors, a computer... In short it looks like a tornado came through. I feel so ashamed of what I did and that it got this bad. Luckly everyone has been understanding and I have said sorry for it, my family, friends and girlfriend all think I should talk to someone, I think I do to. What are all of your thoughts on this...

Welcome to the forum. Talking to someone sounds like a very good idea if you have more than a few people thinking it is a good idea and suggesting it (and trashing the home is a tell tale clue). Plenty of info here too.

:hello: I'm glad you found us.....sounds like you're acting out [trashing your stuff] What your family and friends are agreeing is that you need to talk to some one....I hope that you will do that asap.....I know it's a scary proposition but you'll be glad you made the effort!!!!.....GIVE PEACE A CHANCE

I just read the understanding PTSD pdf file.. So from what I understand is since I was in the Army (no combat) and because I of my job (firemedic) that can make things worse?

A tardy hello, but welcome Seafoam. I also agree that talking with someone will help. It isn't easy, but it does help.
vst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back