• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News High Levels Of Maternal Care Has Life-long Impact On Vulnerability To Stress, Study Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

myptsd

MyPTSD Pro
A new study shows that high levels of maternal care during the early post-natal period in rodents can reduce the sensitivity of the offspring to stressful events during adulthood. Maternal care is shown to chemically modify and thereby re-program genes that control stress responses, making them less likely to be activated. The findings have important implications for understanding early environment influences on stress-related disorders.

[DLMURL="http://feeds.sciencedaily.com/~r/sciencedaily/mind_brain/ptsd/~3/YoL5PDWfSEg/131212100043.htm"]Continue reading...[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
There are important future implications of the study for those who may be vulnerable to depression. "If we figure out exactly how cells regulate their stress molecules, we can modify and improve the function of the stress system in individuals who have not benefited from optimal early life environment, and perhaps prevent vulnerability to stress-related mental and cognitive problems," said Dr. Baram.
------------------

The science of this will be interesting when they finally unravel it.

Roger that Ms. Spock, I am the 4th generation that I know of for certain. I have some comfort in the fact that it stops with me as I wasn't able to bear a child and chose not to pursue adoption or to use extraordinary measures in attempts to conceive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back