• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Relationship His Med Switch Is Exhausting On Day 1!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pegasus71

New Here
He went to the GP (Doc) yesterday and she gave him new ad's Venlaflaxine to start so he's having to switch out from mirtazapine from last night.

He's getting so cranky now, and I'm dreading the switching side effects on top of his usual ptsd bouts. He keeps saying 'it's not you its me' - trying to make everything perfect the way he wants it, not to have dozy 'blonde' moments is becoming exhausting as is controlling my own anxiety.

It's hard because I'd really like Christmas to be nice for our son, he's been so supportive and kept up with his school work through the horrible year we've had, it would be nice to have a couple of days where he didn't have to support his Dad.

he's having to switch out from mirtazapine from last night.
I'm on Mirtazapine and had a doctor try to switch me to something in one night. I woke up sweating, highly disturbed, and had overall massive withdrawal. I think Mirtazapine is something you need to wean from personally. Maybe you folks should talk with the doctor after the holidays on how he can wean and then take the other med at the same time or something. I recommend that this switch be done after the holidays. Mirtazapine has definite withdrawal symptoms. Best of Luck to You. I would make that appointment for after the holiday with the DOC.

I hope things work out. Warmest, Rising Sun

but from what you've said we may do it slower than they suggested.
For sure. Sounds like a good idea.

I would even do it after the holiday. Doctors don't understand how the body gets quite used to mirtazapine and how difficult it is emotionally and physically to get off of it. I have yet to do it (tried but it didn't work out) but I am waiting until some things in my life settle down to try again. Best of Luck and Happy Holidays to you. Your family is quite deserving of a Happy One. Warmest, Rising Sun

I SO feel for your poor husband! And I really feel for you and your son, you both have my TOTAL compassion. I mean it is just awful to go through medication changeovers, but to be around someone in that state would be distressing, and then on top of that, copping their stuff. Your husband is really lucky to have your support, and your son's support. I hope he practices appreciation and gratitude every day so he knows just how lucky that he is, on multiple levels. How old is your son? And good for him for keeping up with his school work. What a smart young person.

General medication withdrawal is just too fast for me, and it is often too slow in the build up for me as well. Excruciatingly slow either! At times during the day I am crawling out of my skin, crawling up the wall, and I have been snapping at my partner. So I just jumped on myself and no more complaining for awhile. It is really hard to contain myself.

I am flat ling and all over the place from withdrawing (under detailed medical supervision) from medication. I have come off one half of a tablet and then another half. I feel so crappy! It trully feels so basically overwhelming at times.

Seriously any doctor who suggests a medication change before Xmas is essentially and completely inexperienced about life in general! That is CRAZY talk! And you have to wonder if this person has any insight into the cost to the people around the sufferer as they go on, up and off their medications. Really that dim? It is hard to believe.

Also GP's give GP (General Practitioner or general doctor) dosages, on the whole, it is psychiatrists that can give enough to actually touch the sides. But things change I used to be on so much that if I saw another GP they would repeatedly ask if I spent all my time sleeping, they couldn't believe I was such large dosages and not be totally sedated. I was still having anxiety and panic, and one young doctor was quite concerned and I think a little upset that someone could still suffer,despite that level of medication. My body has totally changed I had a serious reaction to a medication last year and now only on a mid range to low dose, and coming off a half was hard and a whole tablet has moments of hell during my day as I am all over the place emotionally. I am working really hard. Seriously I am trying hard to contain myself, and sometimes that feels like an impossible task.

I am so glad you are aware of your son's support of his father. This is very good awareness.

Can you partner exercise and get out of the house, and do stuff. Doing stuff is important to take the focus off the physical, emotional and physiological changes. Like reading a series of books, playing computer games, painting the house - whatever works to get through.

My best to the three of you. Amazing that you are all hanging in there.

And it is good that you realise it would be nice if your son had a time where he doesn't have to support his father.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing, as I can relate to your exhaustion and concern for your child. It really stinks that this is going on around Christmas, which puts a damper on the holiday for everyone. I have personally hated this holiday season because of all the drama in my household. At least your husband seems to have insight that it's not you, it's him. Doesn't this suggest that he would be understanding of the holiday needing to revolve around your son and not him? I know, that probably sounds naive. Things are never that simple, it seems. Keep your head up though. My husband nearly caused me to seek refuge in a women's shelter due to his outbursts of rage when his medications were switched. But he's doing much better now, after some more tweaking by his psychiatrist once these episodes were brought to her attention.

My vet had a rough time with mirtazapine, and weaned off of it as well. He said he's rather deal with the nightmares than the side effects. Sending you some strength and positive vibes for the med switch. That GP needs a lump of coal in his stocking for crappy timing.

Remeron helps me sleep. It's helped for 15 years.
My God, some of these people here.

Why do people say happy holidays?

Does he have a limit with the diazepam? I was told more than two per day leads to addiction. But everyone's circumstances are different, and advice is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back