• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Homeopathic Medicine and PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott_Fraser

MyPTSD Pro
Does anybody on the forum know if there are alternatives to prescribed drugs when treating ptsd and combat stress. I'm meaning Herbal medicines, homeopathic treatment, like Accupuncture if they can help, instead of the normal drugs that many doctors prescribe for you.
Scott

hello, take a look at my thread '[DLMURL="http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread2547.html"]Alternative Therapies[/DLMURL]' on page 4. (i cant work out to put a link to it here!) It talks about lots of stuff and Anthony's got a link on it too to a long list of alternatives: [DLMURL]http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread453.html[/DLMURL]. I've managed to avoid prescribed medicines during my healing although I've been offered them lots of times. In my opinion it was and is the right decision for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I linked up the relevant threads. Do a search for alternative therapies, and there is much information pre-existing here.

Hey Scott.. I've had 2 people mention success with Acupuncture. I called a Dr. in my area.. she says she believes there is success with it, but she doesnt do it for PTSD and depression type symptoms. She referred me to a Doc that specializes in Oriental medicine. I'm going to try to get in for a visit soon. I figured its worth a try !! I'll let ya know when I finally get there. :wink:

I have discussed this with a few acupuncturists actually, all TCM qualified, and all have said the same thing, in that you need to let them know you have PTSD, ie. they know what is going on in your brain, but they actually do the acupuncture itself based not so much on PTSD, but what your pulse tells them, what your blood pressure is doing, etc etc... they can tell as they feel around what is, and is not, working correctly. When they do know about PTSD though, they do ensure they put a needle or two in to help get things going up to the brain more fluently, which helps more than you can possibly imagine.

Hiya Scott,
Istari takes herbal medicine and drinks herbal teas,no drugs for him......thankfully

Hiya Scott,

The stuff I use is listed below:

"St John's Wort" tea - can't be used with anti-depressents at the same time (so no anti-depressents here), but can cause photo-sensitivity ie make you more prone to sunburn etc. max 4 cups per day.

"Licquorice" tea - a good alrounder, but needs honey as an aquired taste. max 3 cups per day.

"Kalms" tablets - also good.

Fresh basil leaves - very good in a sandwich.

Read all the information you can about these.

My GP knows i'm doing these rather than the anti-d's, as from my point of view these are a damn sight better.

Istari

I'm with you Istari... I would go herbal any day over conventional medicine when you talk tablets... far too many issues. You don't get addicted to acupuncture, herbal tea's and other herbal mixtures... you do to prescription medications.

Hi Istari and Celt, thanks for the info, but as for the licqouris tea, "AAARGH" no thanks. I've heard of kalms so I may try them.
Cheers
Scott:hello:

Hiya Scott,
You can get "Kalms" at Boots,Tesco's or any health food shop,they do a day or night-time variety.
As for the Licquorice......i agree,it tastes like sh*t,lol but it seems to work for Istari :occasion:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back