1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Hospital Mental Health Services in Canada

Discussion in 'News, Politics & Debates' started by anthony, Dec 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Hospital Mental Health Services in Canada 2003–2004 uses data from the Hospital Mental Health Database and the Hospital Morbidity Database to examine inpatient hospital service use among individuals diagnosed with a mental illness. The information provided in this report from the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) will be of relevance for individuals interested in the policy, clinical, and service management sectors of the health and mental health fields. As well, it will be of relevance for individuals generally interested in health and mental health services in Canada. The information and analyses in the report are focused on inpatient hospital separations (discharges or deaths), which are one part of a broader spectrum of mental health services.

Full story in .pdf attachment

Attached Files:

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Thank you. Have it saved. Hospital services in Canada are extremely poor, in my opinion.

Jim.

4. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

*Snorts* Right along with Mental health care. It all sucks and it's getting worse. I think Ontario is leading Canada into "no man's land" of care...:hit-boss:

Bec

5. anthony

Its quite sad when you think about it, that any country would want to intentionally steer into paths that they can blatantly see is non-productive methods. Australia is getting so much better, as is the UK and US I believe from all reports. Slowly, western cultures are coming around to accepting the issues that exist, instead of ignoring them as has been for all time.

There are learning curves that I guess must be sampled, but stupidity is stupidity at the end of the day. Australia had a recent bout of this when they decided about 8 - 10 years ago to remove the general spelling learning system from schools off sounding out words, to instead engaging the words completely. Basically, we now have a generation of youth that can barely read, write and spell as a result. They have changed it back about a year ago now, but that means we are still going to suffer a generation that fails to spell correctly.

The Australian military had their boo boo also, by changing the basic recruitment from 12 weeks to 6 weeks. Basically, for four years the only soldier that came through, was a weak undisciplined one. They claimed they didn't remove any of the learning as such, they just cut all the BS out. But what they failed to understand, is that it has nothing to do with the BS, because the time was needed to live under such strict conditions in order for the technique in which to change their thought patterns from civilian to military just didn't occur in such a short time.

So now they suffer a period of soldiers that are still partly civilian in nature, which just doesn't mix well. They have changed it back recently also.

Basically, the moral to the story is... if it ain't broke, why fix it?

6. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Yes sad and frightening, Canada is in a crisis in health care, especially mental health care. Was recently reading that our spending on mental health care, since the 60s, has decreased from 64% of the total health care budget to currently less than 3%. Insane, to use a bad pun.

Christ almighty, six weeks for basic training is equally insane. Glad to hear your government smartened up about it. Wish our government would smarten up about health care.

Jim.

7. anthony

Me too mate... me too. I got the arse end of it when I was still in. My soldiers would get to me and they sucked. Thank god the oz government are now sticking billions into health, much off mental health.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar