• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Hospitalization

Status
Not open for further replies.

grace5555

MyPTSD Pro
Could anyone tell me what happens when they put you in the hospital - for a mind breaking or something like that?

Thank you,
Grace

They are talking hospital for me because i am losing alot of time and disassociating, I guess. My mind is breaking - I can feel it...such big holes I am falling through. I am so very scared - and scared even more of the hospital. What would they do to me in there?

Sorry you might have to go to hospital... the thought of going can be scary, but I really haven't found it that bad once I'm in there. I don't know what country you live in, but I am in Canada. Are you going voluntary or involuntary? I've been a compulsory patient more than once, I was in lock down. It sounds bad but mostly it was just kind of boring. They usually medicate you pretty heavily unless your family says not to. Then your pretty much out of it for the first couple of days because of the meds. You sleep a lot. Then once you are less sleepy, you have a nurse assigned who talks to you every day to see how you are. My psychiatrist visited me every couple of days too. I had group activities with some of the other patients, we did crafts and played games and shit. You could watch TV, and I had phone privileges so I rung home a lot. That's pretty much it. A lot of it is just assessment, stabilizing you, and giving you a safe place to stay until you are more stable. I know some people have bad experiences but mine was just kind of neutral, I was bored and homesick, but everyone was nice to me. Eventually I made some friends among the patients. Then I was stable enough to go home again.

Sorry to have such a nonchalant answer, but really it was a lot less scary for me than I thought it would be... that was my experience. And like you, I was really scared when I first went in. Take care, I hope it works out well for you too and I will be thinking of you.

Hey Grace ive spent a month in a psych hospital its very much like Evie told it, the first few days i was in lock down, but all of us were. I think until they get you settled and your meds sorted out well thats how it was for me any way. The rest of the time was spent resting and trying to get myself back on track, just as Evie said I had a nurse assigned to me she would come and talk to me each day, we worked on my problems and some, towards the end i didnt want to leave i had made some great friends learn`t some new skills to deal with PTSD. And the food was great well not really but i didnt have to cook it.

I did learn very quickly that everybody that was in hospital with me was in there because they had problems to so you wont be no Annie Orphan. Cheers Nugget.

My son is in a lock down unit for assessment as we speak. They have group work they do, work on learning coping skills, do tons of assessment work, watch tv, make phone calls. It's a lot of routine. Matt is bored silly. He likes it there, no bad experiences, but is homesick (and I don't blame him.) The other kids in with him, are just like him and he has made some good friends.

I'm not sure about the adult perspective, but for youth it's not that bad.

bec

The thought of lock down absolutely terrifies me. So far, I have managed to stay out but I don't know how much longer I will be given that choice. A brain scan results came back today with the possibility of brain damage that i don't remember getting. Will be rerunning the tests and more the next couple of weeks but i am scared - so very scared.

I should have done this first - thank you Kathy, Evie, Nugget, and Bec for responding to me - I really do appreciate it and your input. I am not thinking very clearly right now and am a bit concerned with putting too much information out but ya'all have been helpful and I do appreciate it.

Grace

I should point out an interesting fact Grace.

Matt likes the lock down. He feels safe in there. The doors and windows are locked and there are nurses patrolling all night long. He freaking loves it!

They do get hospital passes to walk around the hospital, come home, go visiting etc.. It's just while on the ward, it's locked.

Might give you a new way of viewing it. It is a safe place! Maybe you would get a good night's sleep?

bec

I wish it would let me sleep - noone has yet to find a medication that actually allows me to sleep. I doze for a few minutes here and there but even that triggers me. I am extremely claustrophobic though and having doors and windows locked that I didn't lock and don't have the key to? Oh, there just isn't a good way out, is there?

Breathe.. your not there yet.. so just breathe!

Yeah I'm there on the sleep issue. I'm on my.. umm..fifth drug or is it sixth drug? to get me sleeping and nothing works. Drives me crazy.

*hug*
bec

Thanks, Bec - I needed that reminder to breathe. My GodMother and therapist both are frequently reminding me to do that. Which can be interesting with asthma. =\ The panic is unbearable but I am really trying to keep ahold of myself - I've got to - I just have to. Trying to breathe now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back