• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How A Person Emotional Blackmails People

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandra

MyPTSD Pro
Excerpt out of the book Emotional Blackmail by Dr. Susan Forward

Do important people in your life:

Threaten to make your life difficult if you don't do what they want?

Constantly threatens to end the relationship if you don't do what they want?

Tell you or imply that they will neglect, hurt themselves or become depressed if you don't do as they want?

Always wants more, no matter how much you give them? (deffinately my late husband sure did this)

Regularly assume you will give in to them? (again my late husband did this)

Regularly ignore or discount your feelings and wants?

Make lavish promises that are contingent on your behaviour and then rarely keep them?

Consistently label you as selfish, bad, greedy, unfeeling or uncaring when don't give in to them?

Shower you with approval when you give in to them and take it away when you don't?

Use money as a weapon to get their way?

Sorry to hear that Sammy. I think too we miss these issues when it isn't right in front of us. Sometimes I think we need to read it to really open our eyes. After reading that part I sure had to post it in here.

I just started the book. If I come across other good info I will surely post it in here.

Hugs for you Sammy.

I'm sure we will see many in it A3A2. I've just started it and it's been very good so far. Her other book Toxic Parents I read a while ago was also very good.

I should look on Amazon to see what other's she has written when I like her books.

Another interesting excerpt out of the same book:

When we live with emotional blackmail, it eats away at us and escalates until it puts our most important relationships and our whole sense of self respect in jeopardy.

Emotional Blackmail questions:

When am I being selfish and when am I being true to my own wants and priorities?

How much can I do or give without feeling resentful or depressed?

If I give into the blackmailer, am I violating my integrity?

I had a close friend (of 9 years) that fit every single description listed (as well as some not listed)- I was strong enough to get a restraining order- which he fought and lost, and after losing asked the judge
if he could have his guns back. He was a part of the problem- but he was not the cause of my PTSD. Would love to read the book- and I will purchase it as soon as I can feasibly do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back