1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

How About a Motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Social' started by Linda, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

Well, everyone knows that the gas prices are skyracketing, thanks to the One who is wasting billions to the war which nobody needs. I have a large 1991 Lincoln Continental, who is inbelievably gorgious (the car of my dream), and who I treat much as a living thing. His only disadvantage is that he is a gas eater. So, Jose and me are considering buying a small motorcycle, something like 175-200, so I can go to work at warm season and save. I was driving a little bike in Russia and had no problems with it, being a careful driver.
    Here is the only one problem, however. I am very jumpy, namely a slightest noise or a touch is enough to startle me. If it happens while driving a bike, it is not good, to say the least. I never had a problem with driving a car, and in fact had never been in any accident more serious than hitting a deer. But with the bike things are different, if, for example, a little stone will hit me suddenly it may lead to unfixable consequences.
    Is there anyone here who has the same issue and still driving the motorcycle? Or maybe it is better to abandone this idea and starts saving money for the less gas-eating car?

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. mouse

mouse Well-Known Member

I ride an Yamaha R6 its a 600 cc sportbike I love it all you need to remember is ride within your means cont get showing off be double cautious of other drivers and you will love it. This coming from the one in a neck brace and concussion from ahit an drun on mine but it was not the bikes fault and I ws i full gear so it saved my bacon. just remember that you become the bug that the cars hit. good luck enjoy it.

4. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

I have a 600cc suzuki bandit currently sitting in my back garden at home waiting for me to pass my superbike license which I am saving for... (really excited but that's offtopic!!!). I have been doing driving lessons since September and had worry of jumping too as sometimes I'm really jumpy. I have found that the only time I jumped was my first few lessons with my driving instructor who was a man (trigger). But I did have concerns about jumping generally when I'm generally scared so I get you.

Personally I think that as I concentrate so much on driving, and my concentration is on that it is calming, and I find I actually am more focused. I assume it will be the same with a bike. Also, bike's are noisy, not much is going to be noiser other than an actual crash, which would hopefully not happen but not be a consequence of sudden noise. Uhhm, my thinking on this is to give it a go, break in gently... drive in quiet places. Then move to busier, and learn to cope with hazards and unexpected cars/obtacles etc. You may find your arousal betters your reflexes rather than causing an accident. Or you may find that that the arousal is too high and your reflexes are far too sharp and may cause an accident- hence my advice to start in quieter places until you desensitise to it.

I don't know if that is useful or the right advice but it's my thinking on this issue!

5. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

I find being so alert and hyper vigilant helps. I ride a 50cc moped in town and also cycled (on a bicycle) in London for a year. I found it quite exciting in a kind of suicidal kind of way! It improved my confidence and I was glad to be alive every day when I got to work. It was a definite positive for me. I would be careful on a more powerful bike though just because any jumpiness would be exaggerated. My moped only has a top speed of 30mph (32mph down hill with a following wind!):loopy:

6. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone.
    Mouse, you probably were driving a motoike before you trauma, so you are used to it. For me - not realy. I was driving a mini-bike only, and in city, not in the highway, so do not have enough skills and have to gain them. I will probably take driving lessons in summer, and then let us see. On the motocycle, even the sliht wrong movemtn can lead to an accident, not even talk about a big jump...
    Lisa, I am not realy in large superbikes, I like the motocycles which are not big but can go everywhere. But that sound logical that as you are being more concentrated on driving you are less likely to react on things around you.
    Clarie, glad your bike experience was so positive :) I do love high speed and a risk, and I am a former skydiver. However, need motorcycle only for practical reasons.
    Sill thinking about that, but thanks everybody.

7. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Bikes are the best to experience real freedom IMHO.... go for it, and great for the environment as you pointed out, and for the pocket....