• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How Do I Explain To My Mother That I Just Can't Get Over My Ptsd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyPTSD Pro
Lately, my mother has been saying things in reference to my PTSD such as "put it in the box, move on" and "just stop thinking about it". She never used to do this, I think she thinks I should be over it by now. But I'm not. I've told her to please stop but she claims she is just trying to be helpful. I think I need to tell her how she can be helpful. And ideas how I should go about this?

Sounds like my mom. "Just stop worrying" "Remember all the good things in your life and focus on those", etc.

I tried to have a social worker give my mom some pysch-ed about PTSD, but my mom just kept repeating her own thoughts. She has her reasons for wanting it to be a quick fix. Many of them that I can imagine from one just being she hates the idea of my being in pain. But that doesn't change the fact that those statements aren't helpful.

One day I really needed help last fall and really the only one available was my mom. So I told her that I know she doesn't understand and I don't expect her to but I am having a hard day (no details included) and asked for her to come over. It was really useful and it helped at least for awhile.

I don't talk to my mom about anything trauma specific or about how I am doing other than in generalities. I have also told my mom to trust that I know what I need or where to go for help. Overall it's made things better.

Maybe I should stop talking to her about it. I'm getting a new therapist so I'm hoping that will be helpful. The other issue is a think she feel responsible somewhat for my PTSD, for trusting the abuser too much. So maybe this is her way of coping with that.

I would certainly stop talking to her about anything related to your PTSD. As a mom, she's 'wired' to fix things. She's not trained to be a therapist. If she does feel guilty, she may not be able to hear YOUR truth.

Keeping your conversation light, keeps her from having anything to fix.

My therapist has always said that therapy stays with the therapist. Unless you want to keep a journal. (Well hidden) Too many people want to comment on what the therapist has to say and they aren't trained to have a legitimate opinion.

Blessings to you!
AKJ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back