• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How Do I Know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian2016

Confident
How do I know my PTSD diagnoses is accurate and not just an attempt by my therapist to label me with a problem so she can recieve payments from my insurance? For the record I do display many or most of the symptoms and I have had a very taumatic upbringing. I just feel like maybe this is all in my head???

I just want to let you know that I can relate to what you have said when you acknowledge a traumatic past and having all of the symptoms, but still have a level of denial. Like - this is not for real - I am just being dramatic.

However, I also need to look at it and say, yes I have a traumatic past and yes I meet the diagnostic criteria for PTSD. I have PTSD. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

My pull towards denial is actually my PTSD flaring up - because I was raised to think that my stuff doesn't matter, that I need to just get over things, and we don't bring up the past. It all comes full circle for me.

One other word of wisdom for you that I have learned in DBT (and am still learning):

Pain + acceptance = CHOICE
Pain + non-acceptance = SUFFERING

If I am able to accept my circumstances, it is there that I can start to make choices on how to deal with it all. If I deny it, I will only continue to suffer. I compare it to an alcoholic. Unless they accept that they have an issue with alcohol, can they then make the choices to help themselves. Acceptance does not mean everything is suddenly great, but it opens the door to healing.

I hope this is helpful to you.

I can relate to this a lot :)

I am DID, so I have alters... Now, when it comes to this, I am accepting that I have PTSD, but some of the alters sorta aren't and they are instead in denial, which makes me suicidal. It's much easier to work through problems when accepting something is a problem.

Now, if you are more interested, you could always look up the accuracy and the chance of misdiagnosis when it comes to PTSD, but from experience, it's more common that someone with PTSD is misdiagnosed as something else than that someone is wrongly diagnosed with PTSD.

Yes, there is always an option that your theraphist is just sucking money out of you, but ask the question, whether the theraphy is something positive, that helps, or negative, as PTSD or not, theraphy can be quite useful.

Hope any of this helps and good luck in recovery :hug:

Welcome to the club. I've been going round and round that argument for 5 years. After lots of reading, and endlessly working through the diagnostic criteria, I come down of the view that this is the diagnosis of best fit. I know something is wrong, and there is no better explanation. That doesn't mean I believe it all the time.

I think what matters is not what I believe, but what I do, and that doing the things recommended to treat PTSD help me.

How do I know my PTSD diagnoses is accurate

You yourself have said you've had 'traumatic upbringing' and do seem to fit the diagnostic criteria for PTSD, certainly experiencing difficulty enough to seek diagnosis and professional help of some sort.

Even if it by chance is not the correct diagnosis, you are in the right direction of addressing & treating trauma hangups of your past and the effect they have over your present. Things don't have to 'feel' particularly fitting, as denial is a part of trauma processing very often, in order to be true.

If it's 'all in your head' and causing you issues?
It is something that needs to be treated.
That treatment required would be different if it was not caused by something real, but that still asks for treatment for what of it IS real and crux of your problems.

PTSD is a pretty hefty diagnosis. It would make sense that your head would be spinning right now. I remember when I was first diagnosed and I thought it couldn't be real. I kept thinking things like "it wasn't that bad" or "maybe I'm just being dramatic" or "it's all in my head" or "I'm making it up, it a delusion" or the real kicker "I must have something else that makes my abusers the victim of having to deal with me." I had some seriously distorted thinking. It's an effect of the abuse we endured. Sometimes when my symptoms are up I go back to that thinking too. It's hard to get out of that thinking. It also took me years to believe my diagnosis.

I'm curious what exactly makes you think you might be misdiagnosed. Are you in denial of the severity of your trauma? Do you think you don't "deserve" the diagnosis? Does it make you feel like you are weak if it is true?

Some things that helped me to see things a little more clearly was to start my trauma journal, research PTSD (stats and criteria), talking to people here and talking to my support system. There really is nothing like seeing your traumas listed out in black and white, either on the screen or on a piece of paper. It's hard to do, hard to look at but worth it to see that it is real. Doing research on PTSD showed me all the different ways it can manifest and be brought about. childhood abuse (my cause) is one of the leading causes in the U.S. Talking to people and seeing the connection between us helped me to see how they had this and so could I. Talking to people in real life also helped me by seeing their reactions on their faces. It's like stepping outside of yourself to see your situation.

PTSD is a pretty hefty diagnosis. It would make sense that your head would be spinning right now....
I think what makes me doubt is a few things. One is the severity of the trauma as you had suggested. I was browsing through the trauma diary forum section, and was really touched by many of the posts. I believed that a large part of my trauma was related to my childhood, as well....However, I saw that many of the dairies I read relating to childhood had stories of abuse that was truly worse than what I had endured..Now please understand...I KNOW that this is not a "who has the worst trauma contest"...it just made me realize that at least as far as I could remember I never personally endured savage beatings or sick perversions of sexual nature...I was neglected horribly, abandoned multiple times, threatened, had my personal items destroyed...witnessed argument constantly...my stepdad used to clean his 9mm in front of us when he was mad...as a menacing gesture...I was pushed or hit only a few occasions (that I can remember)...but I did watch my siblings be led to the bathroom to be sexuallymolested...I did see my mom scared for her life and my life because her husband was crazy....I did have an emotionally abusive and distant mother who never took time to meet many of our basic needs emotionally, materially, or otherwise...BUT does that fit the criteria..???
I do not know.

PTSD is a pretty hefty diagnosis. It would make sense that your head would be spinning right now....
To extend on that...I have researched the diagnosis criteria and I do not know if that honestly qualifies..I have been through numerous other trauma experiences as an adult as well...I just feel so confused...and I also know that I DO fear feeling weak....looking weak...I have always looked at myself as a solider, not literally but figuratively...many have been through trauma but not all develop ptsd so doesnt that make me weak??

What you describe sounds very volatile and scary. To a child it would have felt dangerous even life threatening. Your step-dad sounds like a real piece of work. I'm sorry you endured the things you described. Still it sounds like you really are in the right place from my perspective. I can't actually tell you you have ptsd for sure but it sounds like a possibility.

You've done research on the criteria but have you looked up specifically ptsd from childhood trauma? The VA has some great info that I found. According to their info even witnessing violence can cause ptsd in children.

Here's a link: http://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional...nd_adolescents_overview_for_professionals.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back