• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How Do You Deal With Wolf Whistlers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool Cat

MyPTSD Pro
Now that it's summer my normally quiet district has lots of people.

I've had several of wolf whistles and similar cat calls (no pun intended) this week and I really find it difficult.

Like I go for a walk to clear my head! not to have something bringing lots of old sh*t back.

I can't seem to stop them...what CAN I do?

Just smile a tiny bit or look neutral (clueless) & look at them & keep walking (faster). I think it's got more to do with having someone look at them. (One guy screamed I had a nice as* running across the intersection, I was wearing a parka for God's sake. :rolleyes: ) Though I get it. It's really uncomfortable if they start adding words too. Just remember within seconds you'll be gone from there (hopefully). If it's a trigger, deal with it as you would any other, or @Solara 's suggestion is good if you'd rather practice avoidance.

i share Your frustration. i had this happen to me (plus a kissy face) literally the first time i went out in public after my trauma.
And i don't think i really "dealt" with it because i just ran away. And then it added to my belief that that was all i was for.

Really? Here it's not so bad and ignoring them works best.

I ignore them. I find the whole thing quite bizarre. Here in the UK it's not a huge problem, but the first time it happened to me I was 17. The weirdest was getting one from a man with a toddler on his shoulder. I've a good line in superior and sarcastic looks now:sneaky:

@Born to Run, whistles with fingers.

@Cool Cat, you maybe can't stop them, but you can still stop the old shit from coming back as a reaction to them, so maybe working at that? IMHO it's the other things that are more threatening than random strangers like that, they won't have the power to seriously bother you if the ghosts of past don't.

Yes that's what I meant @Kaia & @Cool Cat . They just want to be seen. Whatever way gets rid of them is good. (Not including dangerous or unsafe environments or situations here, just the daily ones.) It can even be viewed as funny if you let it be, like once I had a firetruck blow the horn & all waving, so I waved back. (Same on boats, or at New Years, etc). It helped to know they were going in the other direction of course! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back