• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How Do You Ground Yourself When Triggered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueskies

New Here
This is an ongoing problem for me. I know I cannot avoid all triggers (sometimes I have no idea why a particular thing even triggers me at all), but it is (still) such a disorienting experience.

I didn't even know I got triggered until maybe about a year ago. (The PTSD has been a slow learn). I figured it was just my troublesome, weirdly-wired self, some murky aspect of my depression. But clarity is dawning, and more and more I am able to identify when I've been triggered. The problem is: how do I take care of myself in and around that moment?

Still new at this ... would love to hear what's worked with others.

Many thanks,

blueskies

When I am triggerered i feel unsafe so I do whatever it takes to soothe myself and feel safe. this helps ground me. Sometimes that is curling up with a blanket. I also do the "see hear feel" test. i.e name 3 things you feel, 3 things hear, and 3 things you see. I have to remind myself that it is 2009 and i am an adult with choices not a child. I am very tactile so feeling different textures helps me i.e a soft furry pillow or a stress ball. I explore with hot or cold showers. Sometime I hold a piece of ice if I really need to feel something. Also smelling things i like eg aromatherapy oils. I talk to my child part a lot too and dialogue with her. I reassure her and tell her she is safe etc...Anyway this is just me.

Hi Blueskies,

I have been exactly where you are right now and still get caught up in triggers every now and then, but I use a few grounding techniques that work wonders for me.

These are my favourites:

- I carry a small rock in my purse at all times. If I get triggered and feel myself starting to dissociate I will grab the rock and focus my thoughts and feelings on the way the rock feels in my hand. I'll squeeze it, notice the different colours, the grooves, etc. This helps me stay present and often I'll do this while walking around in order to release some of the anxious energy that builds up. (This is the same kind of technique liv now mentioned). I also like to splash my face with cold water to help ground myself, or sometimes I keep a cold cloth on my face/neck until I've calmed down.

- Breathing exercises (Life savers! I use these in combination with lots of grounding techniques). Sometimes I'll do deep breathing exercises while counting backwards from 100. If I'm really scatter brained and anxious, still distracted by anxious thoughts while counting backwards, I'll make it more difficult (count backwards by 3's or recite the alphabet backwards).

-Visualization exercises

In addition to grounding exercises I've learned some ways to talk myself through triggering experiences. In the beginning I dwelled on what the trigger was and where it was coming from. Now I just acknowledge that, yes, I'm being triggered. I remind myself that everything will be okay. I have some favourite affirmations that I'll repeat over and over in my mind to drown out all the chaotic thoughts. I assure myself that I am safe and try not to react to the physical sensations that arise from the trigger/anxious response. Surrendering to the feelings that arise from the trigger is very important for me, the more I resist and fight 'what is', the worst it gets.

I know triggers are unpleasant, they were my worst symptom for a while. They can be frequent and overwhelming at times. It might help you to know that it gets much easier once you find some methods that work well for you. After some practice these coping methods start to come naturally when you're triggered.

Be compassionate and patient with yourself, you'll find a good combination of techniques that work for you. Sounds like you're well on your way.

Great info BC. I'll try some of them myself. One I'e just started using is the trace small circles either in the crook of my arm or on my wrist. Just very gentle and soothing. Try while you're doing that to remember a positive moment in your life. That could be feeling a little more relaxed while taking a bath yesterday, or it could be a moment where you felt connected with someone you care about. Something soothing and positive. If nothing comes to mind, just allow yourself to enjoy the sensation itself.

good luck with everything,
Dave

I try to find something in the present I can focus on and try to keep the past from escalating the event. I know its not real but at the time my brain has a tough time telling me its not.
Dave

These might help me too! As a carer, sometimes I quickly respond by rushing to try to fix things or offer solutions when I should just wait. Taking a deep breath usually doesn't work.

I know this, in no way, measures up to what sufferers face but thanks!

Learn something new from all of you almost every day since I "joined".

I tend to have to use alot of "Self talk". I have to be strong and reassure myself that the past is the past and that I'm safe now.

I find that things that place on the senses are good. The radio I find very helpful, especially if it's the news or whatever as it sort of reminds you that it's now and not then.

Counting things in the environment can be good too, but that it sort of environment dependent.

I also do the squeezing an object thing lol. I carry a small piece of hematite in my pocket and use that, or if for whatever reason I don't have that on me will generally grab on to the end of my necklace and use that instead.

I'm glad this thread is here. This is something I definitely need to work on but don't know how. I'm going to try counting backward. Something that I just learned works for me is wrapping myself in a blanket... Its lke it mimics the feeling of someone holding you or wrapping their arms around you and since I can't be touched or near anyone when I get triggered, this definitely helps.
(Thanks to Ursa for that suggestion :Hug_emoticon:)

Manic

Thanks for ideas.

I have a ring now that I didn't have when I was attacked. So when I'm in the heat of the moment with triggers, I feel it and focus on it so I can try to realise it's a different time and place.

That's a very good idea, Beth!! I ought to try that. Maybe I will buy myself a new braclet or ring so I can do the same...

:thumbs-up

Manic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back