• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How Do You Know If You Are On The Right Or Wrong Medications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ms spock

MyPTSD Pro
How Do You Know if You are on the Right or Wrong Medications?

I am stressing out over this.

I thought my new meds were working fine but two of my close friends have expressed concerns.

How does a complex ptsd person tell if they are on the right meds?

ms spock

Ask yourself how you feel. If you feel at peace, calm, happy, able to get motivated to shower daily, go to work, if you sleep a normal night's sleep, if you see yourself as normal as you can be, then the meds are working. If the side effects are not so bad that you can deal with them (for example, if not having a sex drive is okay with you and not a problem, then don't worry about it.) then you are on the right drug.

On the other hand...if you are a zombie, sleep 16 hours daily, don't shower, don't eat, the bills don't get paid, you can't watch television because the news upsets you to crying and you don't leave the house and you know inside that something is wrong, then something is wrong.

Do you think their concerns are valid?

I Think My Friends Do Have A Point!

I am much more flat and moving stiffly. It is true.

ms spock

I Wrote A List Of Pros and Cons...

I Wrote A List Of Pros and Cons and there are more Cons on the list than Pros.

ms spock

Are you on a new medication? When I start a new med, (I've been through quite a list of antidepressants in my time) I tend to feel that way...very flat and slow. After a few weeks, the effects tend to mellow out a bit and then I make my judgement call.

That said, if your list is mostly cons...then you are likely on the wrong medication. There will almost always be negative side effects of some nature when taking meds, but, the benefits should outweight the negatives for you....otherwise, what's the point? I'd go see your doctor and see what other options you have.

Best,
Grainne

It normally takes me a month to decide if a new antidepressant was going to work, but with Paxil, it only took 4 days of pure hell. Trazadone took 48 hours. I also go through the rollercoaster of good day-bad day when I increase the dose.
How long has it been for you on this present medication?

I Rang the Psychiatrist

It normally takes me a month to decide if a new antidepressant was going to work, but with Paxil, it only took 4 days of pure hell. Trazadone took 48 hours. I also go through the rollercoaster of good day-bad day when I increase the dose.
How long has it been for you on this present medication?

It has been a couple of months on this one now. It seems I am on a too high dose (for me) and I will have less and see my psychiatrist in a week and a half.

ms spock

I wish I had better news, but it literally took years to find the right combination of medication that works for me and I fit into the complex PTSD category. I take nefazadone, Wellbutrin, and low dose Abilify.

When it comes to medications out there you can be picky. If you tell your Doc that you are not happy with the medication, you can bet that the huge text books behind him will offer a ton of alternatives and one little hidden gem in there will do the trick. Nothing will help you more than therapy and support though. Hang in there! We are all behind you, cheering you on.
O

This is a really great question. I've been on Zoloft for seven years and before that I was on Prozac for nine years. I'm only 28, so pretty much my whole life has been on anti depressants. It's really hard for me to figure out what symptoms are side effects from the meds and what are PTSD symptoms. I'm really frustrated right now with all of this and I don't know what to do. I don't trust doctors...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back