• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How Do You Know Your Dealing With The Right Trauma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vcc123

Confident
If there have been multiple 'trauma' events in my life, how do I know that the one I'm being 'treated' for is really the one causing the problem? How do you know which trauma was really the beginning? (I'm so confused!!) :doh:

i am dealing with a similar situation. and i am sure there are others here that will have better things to say. from my own experience, when i have tried to focus on just one of the "traumas" the other one's peek out, like that old bop em' game where you hit one and another one pops up etc etc.

for me. i have tried to tell my story from beginning to end. i mean to present. freudian slip ha ha. this is difficult b/c i have not a good sense of time, and a very fragmented memory. but i would imagine that you have layers. so start with whatever is most immediate in your mind. i think it is a process that does not have to be figured out all at once. but instead step by step. step one: start talking.

i don't know. sorry if this is confusing you. :cuckoo: i wanted to respond b/c to let you know that you are not alone.

OH. and i am realizing it's NOT neat little layers like an onion. they are tangled and messy and gross.

It's funny that you would mention this. I saw yesterday that I need to list 10 of the worst things that happened, but then begin work on the worst of all first. How can I choose that? The most violent isn't the one that still lingers in my mind. Which one is causing me the most problems? How can I tell?

Sorry-I think I'm confusing us both even more...

You work on all as they all contribute. You cannot just work on one. But your starting point is best started with the one at the front and causing the most distress. Once you start another may show. You may not be done with the first when this happens. But once you start there is no turning back. But you are better for it. They all seem to twist into each other.

thank you

Elvis & Theresa.. thank you so much for your response.. for a minute there I thought everyone was stumped by my question or else everyone thought I was nuts. I'd give anything to be a tidy little onion right now!! I'm looking back at all of my 'events' right now too.. there are several. Like you said, where do you start? How do you start? I've been going to the shrink since April '06 and feel like I've made no headway. Great.. now I have to talk about even MORE icky things with the shrink. Thank you so much for validating my feelings.. thats important. I learning quickly that I'm not totally insane, just a little crazy.. which I can accept. Thank you again !!:redface:

Veiled.. more than you know, thank you

Veiled.. you make sense.. I guess first I have to figure out and admit what was traumatic for me. I'm so used to stuffing the feelings and just 'sucking it up'. I have so many holes in my life.. things I cannot remember.. I think just making myself recognize and accept as many of the bad things as I can is helping me start. Thank you again.:redface:

Mental imagery can tell you what is the most prevalent problem area upon your sub-conscious, hence knowing you are looking in the right area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back