• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How Do You Observe Feelings Without Judgement?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12723
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 12723

ITL said this in a post. I wonder how do you observe feelings without judgement? I do not know how to do this. I struggle with having feelings and I get all confused and mixed up. I would love to observe feelings without judgement.

Dear Gizmo,

It is so very hard. It can help so much though. I have done a lot of work on this and have come far. Often I am not able to but many times are successful. I don't know if you have ever done any mindfulness work but it changed my life. That and "radical acceptance". Are you familiar with these?

:hug:

Abstract, I am not familiar with radical acceptance. I am just learning about mindfulness thanks to the linc from Nicolette.

Please tell me about radical acceptance. Thank you very much for sharing this with me.:)

I'm rather curious of what people have to say here as well because allowing myself to feel emotion and NOT judge it is something I'm having trouble doing.

I don't know if this counts but when I realize I'm feeling an emotion I try to identify it and then understand why I feel that way. It's hard not to tell myself 'you shouldn't feel this' but if we're feeling an emotion then I guess there must be some reason for us to feel them.

~Ayasha

Please tell me about radical acceptance.

It's the same type of surrender the Buddhists call "radical acceptance." Radical acceptance is accepting what is on a deep level without judgment - not saying it's right or wrong but just that it is.
[DLMURL]http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/real-healing/201101/radical-acceptance[/DLMURL]

Seems to have a lot to do with Buddhists Gizmo

Here is another link http://www.tarabrach.com/articles/trauma.html where she says “Radical Acceptance,” which means clearly recognizing what we are feeling in the present moment and regarding that experience with compassion.

Thank you so much for all of this wonderful information. I see I have so much to learn but I am so excited. I am so grateful to you Nicolette for your helping me today. it is really helping me out so much.:)

I thinks it's natural for me to continue judging my feelings. I am aware that there are feelings that I don't want so accepting them is hard. I accept that I'm hurt and I don't judge that fact that much. I wish I could tell you more, but being in tune with the moment didn't get rid of my depression. There are other factors.

I wonder how do you observe feelings without judgement

For me this means labelling the feeling but not trying to justify it.

I think that when you are abused you learn to, not feel, hide feelings, not trust your feelings and have a need to justify your feelings. I learned to not feel when it was too painful to feel, I hid my feelings when they would get me into trouble, I didn't trust my feelings when I was told what was happening to me really didn't happen and when I did cry I tried hard to justify that I had the right to cry so that I didn't get into trouble.

So it's obvious how just looking at a feeling and not judging wether I have the right to it etc would be difficult. But for me it is well worth the effort. I spend hours trying to understand if I have a right to my feelings. When I have actually been able to observe and label a feeling without judgement it is heavenly. I would not judge someone else who is crying to try and decide if they have the right to cry so why do I do that for myself?

I just wish I spent more time trying to do this then I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back