1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

How do you reconcile faith in god with therapy?

Discussion in 'General' started by Still Standing, Jan 12, 2018 at 2:57 PM.

1. Still Standing

Still Standing Member

Do you feel conflicted between trusting in the therapy process and trusting in God? I struggle with this, sometimes.

Congruency and Mach123 like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Friday

Friday Raise Hell Moderator

Nope. Not at all.

What kinds of conflicts are you running into?

Muted, scout86 and deeplyloved like this.
  4. Xena

Xena Well-Known Member

I feel that God gave us human beings free will. Now I sure he has probably wondered what the f*ck did I do that for.

Free will unfortunately has caused much pain... Rapes.. Murder.. Torture... Suffering..... But it also can be good, happy, loved, laughter.... So I guess thats how I see it...

I try to keep it simple because for the longest time I blamed him God instead of the men who hurt me.....Sorry scum that hurt me

So when it comes to therapy it's part of something like your faith that is for good...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2018 at 3:33 PM
  5. anonymous

anonymous Forum Anonymity Premium Member

No I don't.
    If God actually gets jealous and butt hurt because I'm seeing a psychologist over him? He can go pound sand.

He's the one what put this defective lump of grey matter in my head. So far asking him to fix it has been unsuccessful. My brain has been broken for over a decade. If he's not going to fix it, I'll find someone who can help me fix it.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear the almighty was waiting for the warranty to expire.

Congruency and deeplyloved like this.
  6. deeplyloved

deeplyloved Well-Known Member

I see zero conflict and seriously worry about the perpetuation of this myth. What ends are served by setting God and therapy at odds? Seems like a good way to protect abusers and perpetrators... I don’t think that’s what you are doing, to be clear. I think it’s a belief to protect and uphold patriarchy and other systems of oppression.

On the contrary, I believe God wants me to be healthy and well...maybe even joyful someday. God became flesh because God knows it’s tough for humans to understand love we cannot see, hear or feel. Religious people are called to embody God’s love in the world for one another. My therapist and my doctors and my ministers...they all do that for me...they embody God’s love. They help me remember I am loved, I am necessary, I am worthy and I am enough. Personally, I believe God weeps when people hurt one another and does everything to help turn our hearts to love. I believe God wants me to be in therapy, receiving the care I need to remember I’m a beloved child of God.

7. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member Sponsor $100+

I don’t think that god has anything to do with my trauma, or if I went to therapy.

8. TexCat

TexCat Not a cat or a native Texan. Premium Member Donated

I don’t question God when going to a medical doctor, hair dresser, or out with friends. Why with therapy? How would that be any different?

I also feel that God sent me to my specific therapist.

I do struggle with feeling abandoned by God during my traumas. But I feel abandoned by lots of people, so why not God as well?

Justmehere, Supervixn, Zoogal and 5 others like this.
  9. Still Standing

Still Standing Member

Hmmm, you all have shared things to think about. In my case, I do believe in God and have since a very tiny girl. I feel that if I had not have this faith, through the years, I would have killed myself and been dead long time ago...or at the very least, committed emotional suicide (which at one time in my life, I did enter into but the little spark of faith left inside me eventually brought me to my senses...whatever was left of them! The only thing I wanted to do in life was to be a bag lady and live in Half Moon Bay, California. Yeah..over-the-top-weird, I know. But it felt safe and right, at the time.). Anyway, It has never occurred to me to blame God for my pain, abuse, fear, or troubles. I have always seen that as the bad part of some people. Not everyone is kind or loving...just the opposite. My path simply put me in the crosshairs of such people. But, to have late-onset (CPTSD) PTSD and not knowing how to hide or control the turmoil inside me, anymore, causing me to seek out counseling, makes me feel that somehow I am taking my hand out of God's and putting it into another's. However, in trying to weigh this conflict, I also used the logic of going to a medical doctor or dentist when needed. That has helped some. I guess, I have decided as long as I am not asked to do anything that is contrary to my faith, counseling is be useful. I was just wondering how others have sorted out this conflict.

deeplyloved likes this.
  10. Congruency

Congruency Tumultuous Uprising Premium Member Donated

Beautiful place to live.

That's the way I feel about it.

For a time, I had to put God on a back burner, so to speak, because what I was remembering seemed so incongruous to my walk with Him. Yet I always felt He was beside me the whole time. I just wasn't acknowledging that nor talking to Him as often.

Now I know He's walking beside me again on my healing journey. I talk to Him all the time, asking for healing and guidance and to be a light unto my path.

mumstheword and Still Standing like this.
  11. EveHarrington

EveHarrington ________ in progress Premium Member

Uhm.....

God helps those who help themselves?

I never understood the idea of putting it all into gods hands. This sounds like a concept made up by man, and a bad one at that.

Why would you want to put your healing into gods hands? To what end? It sounds like the lazy way out. God doesn’t sit up there and dole out healing as he sees fit. This isn’t how he works. And if he did, then do you see therapy and psychiatry as the Antichrist? Satanic? Going against gods will?

12. Rumors

Rumors I'm a VIP

Seeking knowledge about being healthy isn't an abomination. It is actually what God would want, healthy heart and mind.

Xena and mumstheword like this.
  13. Suzetig

Suzetig Still the Staff Kitteh... Moderator Sponsor $100+

What conflict do you see between belief in god and going to therapy?