• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How Do You Word It To Your Employer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I guess I'm very blessed to be working where I am. I'm going to start having weekly appointments at the VA starting this Friday so I had to put the time off request in. But before that I asked the question about having an appointment every Friday. And instead of constantly having to figure out how to explain it without coming out and saying it so I just mentioned that while I was in the military that I deployed to Afghanistan and came back with some stuff and that the appointments are to help me with that stuff.

They were very nice and said sorry you came back with stuff and to let them know if I needed anything. But I work for a company that has a lot of veterans as employees so they are use to it.

I am up front with my boss about having PTSD because sometimes I need special accommodations. My T has talked to her and there is a letter in my file indicating that I am under her care and responding well but still may need certain accommodations under certain circumstances. That also means I am protected under ADA. It's been a good thing for me that she knows. I'm having a hard time lately because of some newly surfacing trauma and I'd be screwed without that letter.

Man, I guess I'm very blessed to be working where I am. I'm going to start having weekly appointmen...

A lot can depend on the people involved.

When I started my job I did not tell my boss for 3 months anything but I kept my weekly appointments. It got to a point that I thought there was enough trust and I needed to explain why weekly I would go to yet another appointment. I basically said I needed support and it was helping me in my personal life to check in. Well she responded "of course and then made sure to tell me that she didn't need therapy and to watch out because some people are in therapy for years because some counselors really mess people up." Needless to say I was cautious. After about 6 months I told her my appointments were bi-weekly because I knew enough of her schedule that I could schedule appointments when I knew she wouldn't be aware. Then about another 6 months later I told her I was all set and she said I seemed so much better and she was happy for me. She was a challenging boss and had plenty of her own issues. ( the whole time I kept my weekly appointments)

I have a new boss whom I have known for years. She has a great approach to our department and we share calendars and know a lot about each other's comings and going. I did disclose that I had a weekly appt that was super important for me as a support in my life. She said then and has reinforce that it is a priority and she fully supports us making it work for me. I don't feel I want to share more content but needed to say enough so I could get my needs met.
And I have been told how another 3 different employees have PTSD (part of my job - not a gossipy way) and because they disclosed that information we (employers) have to ensure that reasonable accommodations are made for them. I work in a good environment and we make it work. It is not this way everywhere.

Some work places will be understanding but not everyone or everywhere. People fear what they don't know and PTSD has a bad reputation so people get scared.
Be thoughtful about what you share and with whom.

My resume is a little spotty also, and I get asked questions about it if I go on interviews. I have several b.s. answers but never disclose my medical conditions. I only disclose when I get hired and IF I start to 'PTSD out' on the job. Then people start poking around and it does get uncomfortable.

I likely would never disclose on a job interview. I make up BS excuses that sound good for the short lapses in employment, and they will never know the difference. At work, several people know I have PTSD for a number of different reasons. Managers are generally not the understanding types, but they hire some of the most unstable people I have ever worked with, not in the truly mentally ill sense, but just in the mean, don't-know-how-to-play sense, so I'm not really worried. If they get rid of me, it won't be because of my PTSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back