• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

How Does Stress Affect You?

• Thread starter Deleted member 32956
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 32956

I know stress can affect people differently. And different things stress people out. But I'm curious. What stresses you guys out? How does it affect you in your every day life and interpersonal relationships? How do you deal with it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Painted Dreams,

I can get stressed out inexplicably. Case in point: Last night I'm watching the 2012 movie version of "Anna Karenina". Something about how she gets shunned by her social circle stressed me out, had me feeling anxious about myself.

More generally, and something I'm currently trying to reinterpret so as not to get stressed out, I get stressed when I'm feeling good and something that is probably relatively small, such as a computer glitch, happens. That stresses the #$%? out of me but only until the situation gets dealt with.

It's just the idea that 'it's always something' or 'why does life have to be so hard so often?' that stresses me. I'm working to change that idea, that notion, that way of looking at life.

Everything stresses me out. It could be breathing, waking up in the morning, kids, work, finances, phone call, the weather, spouse, making dinner, going to bed, getting dressed. So honestly everything! I am on edge always-looking to die-I don't know what living without stress is like .

I keep my world small. I go to the grocery store down the street, the feed store, Bi-mart, and that's about it. I am friendly with my neighbors, and talk to online friends. I can't deal with the stress of going to a party, or a class so I don't. I hope to overcome this by pushing myself by little bits at a time.

Crowded places, loud men, people coming to my door that I don't know, husband not following through with task/plan, angry teething baby (but that's most people right?) Crowded places, loud men and strangers make me anxious, like shake and puke anxious. Very rarely they make me angry; the rest make me angry. I always feel terrible when I get mad at my 8 month old for being crabby. The kicking, hitting and biting makes my skin crawl which sends me through the roof. I haven't really found anything that works well. Typically I try to tactically avoid what a can and just literally bite my tongue to the rest

hi
I do xercise, meditate, do art work, read garden, do not push myself too much. Try and live in the moment, and the latest like and trust myself above any thing or every one else.

Does stress make your symptoms more prevalent?

Anything can stress me out!

Today I locked my keys in the trunk. I was ok until I came home and freaked out because I couldn't find either of my spare keys. I dont think I've seen them in a few years now. At least I have emergency roadside service so it was a relatively easy fix. Tomorrow I'm off to get 3 duplicate keys made.

I need lots of quiet alone time so I can recoup and re-energize.

Right now I'm triggered so I'll take sleep meds for the first time in months. I know it's bad enough that I need meds or it will only get worse.

Stress and anxiety seems to often be the norm. I get stressed out over many things. Most of the time, I know that I need to slow down and focus more on "me time." I've taken up painting, working with sea glass, sitting outside, journaling and even napping during the day if need be. If it's a particularly hard time, then like @EveHarrington I take something to help me sleep at night.

I also have always enjoyed animals, so I have a bunny companion. I let him out and enjoy his antics. I have a couple of canaries and enjoy their singing. I even put music on in the house. Partly just so my environment isn't deadly silent. Helps to hear something else pleasant.

My T will often put me on "Therapy bedrest" as I call it when I'm struggling. He still encourages some of the cognitive exercises, but mostly wants me to just slow down and rest. That will help me be able to deal with my kids, husband, meals etc...

Hope this helps.

Stress definitely makes my symptoms worse. to keep well I have to avoid stressful things. a lot of people all wanting something from me and any thing medical totally triggers me. Social situations and any time when I feel out of control of what might happen to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back