• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Relationship How Does Your Combat Vet Show He Loves You?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewWife777

New Here
My husband definitely expresses love himself differently then a lot of people. How does your loved one with PTSD show that they love you?

I'm a simple gal, don't need a whole lot to make me happy(talking about "stuff" gifts etc.) N. isn't super comfortable with expressing his emotions verbally so I get all the "stuff" I wouldnt get for myself lol. It can actually make me a little uncomfortable because with my history there are always strings attached, whether or not you can see them. That's caused a couple arguments because its the only way he knows how to show he cares annd how serious he is. I'm trying to be less suspicious and more gracious lol.

L isn't demonstrative either...not big on PDAs but will occasionally surprise me by putting his arm around me or kissing me in public. But it's rare. Mostly he shows he cares by doing things for me....changing the oil in my car, fixing things around the house, mowing the lawn, etc. I've been a single mom living on a farm place for a few years so having someone help is awesome...especially since he will do it without me asking! Night-time is when I really feel the love. He goes to sleep holding me and keeps covering me up at night if he thinks I'm getting cold. :)

He used to mostly buy me stuff and send flowers, because that's what past girlfriends seem to have wanted. And he still does buy me loads of Christmas presents, because that's who he is. I sometimes find that hard, partly because I'm incredibly disorganised, and partly because one of the things in my past was to do with my mother doing horrible stuff, then buying me 'stuff' to 'say sorry'.

He's more affectionate now - much more. And there's other stuff, like he makes phone calls for me (I have trouble with the phone), and he does housework when I'm working really long hours.

He does not say "I love you" very often but does things for me and sometimes give me flowers or sweets.
His kind of love is make sure me and the kids have everything we need.

My NavyDoc rarely says he loves me and then only in response to me saying it to him. His family is not the slightest bit affectionate to begin with so he comes by it honestly and the PTSD has made it even worse. Hugs, kisses and other pda's are rare and intimacy is also rare. He shows his affection by building things for me, and making improvements on our house to make my life easier. On occasion, he will buy me perfume but most of the time, his love language is building me something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back