1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

How I Started Managing Symptoms Through Diet

Discussion in 'Accomplishments' started by annexthecelt, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Finchlet

Finchlet Active Member

Panic binging has been a thing for me because I was left starving and desperately thirsty for prolonged periods of time as a child. I recently have been managing to go longer and longer periods of time without binging by not restricting myself too much by banning certain foods and only having tiny portions as I had been previously compelled to do which inevitably after varying time scales would result in panic binging till I'd vomit. Now I don't ban any foods but make sure I eat more healthy proteins and veg than other foods so if I want a treat I eat something healthy first then have a treat instead of either not eating any sugar (cue binge) or excessively eating it till I vomit. Finally I understand moderation and its really starting to work who'd of thunk it!

ClaudiaKushi and heyheyhey like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. ClaudiaKushi

ClaudiaKushi New Member

I mean this with kindness, but you do not have PTSD. There was no actual traumatic etiological event. This would never meet the DSM 5 criterion. I'm sorry but ptsd is so much more complex than a diet almost cure.

4. darwin

darwin Active Member

Who are you addressing? Sorry but I don't think for one minute some random new member is qualified to diagnose (or un-diagnose as it were) another person on this board based on discussion content much less a single thread.

The DSM is a politically controlled device that in many cases is being used to ensure big pharma can continue to prescribe band aid treatments rather than to fix anything or help anybody. A solid case is being built that shows that by and large PTSD, CPTSD (which by the way can't even seem to make it into the DSM) anxiety, and even things like fibromyalgia and borderline personality disorder and so on, while rooted in trauma, are complicated by brain inflammation as a result of a malfunctioning central nervous system, and diet has a huge impact on it. The gut shares the same chemicals the brain has and the vegus nerve which activates the parasympathetic nervous system, it extends from the gut to the brain and comes into contact with every major organ and even the voice box along the way. Yes diet can and does hugely impact PTSD. Inflammation is the body's first immune response and when the gut is out of balance inflammation is brought on. It can be argued that PTSD IS brain inflammation.

This book is a must read on the subject of PTSD and the DSM is discussed at length.. The Body Keeps the Score

5. heyheyhey

heyheyhey Well-Known Member

Well if anti-depressants change your brain chemicals (and mood as a byproduct), so does good, wholesome food - directly involving serotonin and dopamine.

This is a great video on the effectiveness of plant-based diets for anxiety and depression :)

Plant-Based Diets for Improved Mood & Productivity | NutritionFacts.org

Just wanted to go and swoon about my diet lol! I recently read How Not to Die - a fascinating book chocked full of the top studies on the healthiest foods and what to eat, and since reading it I've switched to a mostly plant based diet (vegan - focusing on wholegrain, fruit, veg, limited fats - I don't cut them out completely - i love making my own cheesecake and chocolate using date syrup and cocoa butter). I eat meat sometimes and pizza with cheese - but generally avoid these foods and really feel the difference :).

I absolutely love my plant based diet, I just feel so much happier and more energetic. I love that I am nourishing my body and my mood and anxiety is much improved. I actually crave plant based foods and I'm never bored - I love making lots of curries with chickpeas, kidney beans etc, sugar-free chocolate nut butter, fruit smoothies, veggie burgers, veggie fajitas, fresh salsas. It's freaking delicious!! It's not boring in the slightest - it's like the more i eat, the more i want to eat it and i don't actually miss all my butter, cheese and meat. Especially as I know that the plants food nourish my health, happiness and prevent disease and those things add to all of those. Yeah, I like meat and butter, but do I like them enough to eat them so regularly that they increase my depression and anxiety and put me more at risk for Alzheimer's which runs on both side's of my family? No thanks, f*ck that.

As soon as I eat sugar, I just feel this horrible dark cloud and anxiety spike. Combined with exercise and EMDR, my PTSD anxiety is pretty much non-existent most days of the month.

Tornadic Thoughts likes this.
  6. Netsy

Netsy Member

Totally agree with you

7. WomanHero

WomanHero Member

I'm glad to hear your success story. It's very inspiring to know that you are active in helping yourself. There are many testimonials from people that prove the benefits of a healthy diet to depression. Foods that are rich in potassium and magnesium are effective good mood boosters.
    My sister loves munching on stir-fried carrots and bananas. We noticed that her mood is a lot better.

8. "Please don't say cured"....uhhh, why not? I've suffered for the majority of my life from horrible symptoms directly related to the trauma I experienced in my life and I want a cure. I've gone to group and one on one therapy, I've tried medications and seen doctors and emergency rooms, I have somatic issues ranging from ulcers to chronic UTI's, I have black outs and rages, I have flashbacks and become confused. It affects my work, my health, my relationships and my ability to grow. I am in a clinical trauma yoga program now which is helping me a TON. I am going to change my diet starting the 5th of June to see if it will help cure me. Thank you for the inspiration......one attitude that has never helped me cope with PTSD is a negative one of victimazation. I enjoy your motivation, positive attitude and the fact that you shared your positive life experience with others so they can learn too. Anyone who has experienced real trauma and knows what PTSD is like to live with day to day clearly understands that you, in no way, minimized anyone else's experience with this post. On the contrary you are sharing it to encourage people like me, on a path to a CURE. THANK YOU.

9. Cyberluddite

Cyberluddite New Member

I stumbled across the connection between diet and PTSD when I got back to the States, after being trafficked and tortured for several months in late 2013/early 2014. There are no support groups for men, but that's not a problem... it's something that you just learn to accept as part of the new "normal."

Another part of the new "normal" is that the foods and ingredients that you used to enjoy, no longer play nicely with your health. Before the incident, I was able to enjoy Splenda in my coffee, and hot dogs from the gas station. I could go out for pizza and eat the movie theater popcorn. And even though I'm not much of a bread person (aside from sweetbreads), I enjoyed pasta, rice, and baked-crust dinners.

Boy did that change. I had to change my diet completely, but I didn't have to quit eating anything. Sodas are still a no-go, but that's largely from the other artificial ingredients in them as much as the sweeteners. I'm an omnivore, and still am... but I went to a "clean" diet.

Essentially that means everything from scratch, as natural, original, and whole as possible. No artificial anything, and the list of trigger foods has grown longer, the more I've followed this regimen. It's a really tough diet, tougher than organic food, because it requires doing your own information research to understand why certain ingredients and foods have their effects.

I figured out I was sensitive to MSG in March 2016, after 22 years of doctors telling me it was all in my head. How? I Googled a description of the sickness.

In the past 3+ years, I've learned about healthier alternatives to the processed stuff most people use. For example: if you're reacting badly to all-purpose flour, it's the bleaching process. Try unbleached bread flour instead; it's more nutritious, is way less processed, and your baked goods are tastier and fuller. It also has more gluten, but the British brand "King Arthur" has less risk of glyphosate in it than Pilsbury or U.S. brands.

Many spice mixes and seasonings are actually pretty easy and better when made at home. Taco seasoning does not require whey or dairy, which are used to boost protein content. About 9 spices is all it takes, and you probably already have them in your kitchen.

One of my biggest surprises was finding out how unhealthy "organic" is. Even the USDA Certified is only 95% natural, except for salt and water. And "salt" can be stuff that isn't good for you, but is permitted. When you've got an organic food with multiple organic ingredients aren't required to list what's in each one, this is risky.

Things like that require not just due diligence, but making the time to sit down and do information research. Knowledge is the best food in managing your PTSD, because it can save you a lot of setbacks. Libraries are going to be one of your newest best friends, count on it. They're even better sources than Wikipedia, WebMD, or Dr. Bernard, because librarians are required to finish grad school to get the job.

I know this thread is about diet, but information research is crucial to the success of applying diet to your needs. I'm not a nutritionist or a doctor, I was an intern reference librarian for almost two years right after the 2008 crash. Take the advice with a huge block of salt, and consult with your medical professional for guidance.

I apologize for the TL;DR, but information research on blueberries led me here. Learning I'm not the only one dealing with this fight has done wonders for my soul.

May Fortune favor your Paths in the days ahead.

Show Sidebar