1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Many People Get Social Benefit For Ptsd?

Discussion in 'Employment & Education' started by Blondie362, Oct 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blondie362

Blondie362 Active Member

I know our system is different in the UK we have a disability living allowance and and incapacity benefit, which is proving difficult to get due to government changes.

I would be interested to know how many have got benefits through a diagnosis of PTSD because of the impact it has on your life. I have physical issues too due to injuries sustained over many years so do get the DLA and Incapacity, I don't know how the US benefit system works though , do the american members find it tough to claim help? The benefits system here is is undergoing radically ruthless changes,and for people with mental health problems is making people really ill with worry.
    Kate

Froggie likes this.
  2. Aine

Aine Active Member

I'm currently waiting for a verdict on DLA but I'm not hopeful. They sent me a letter saying they asked for a report from my GP. That in itself is quite frustrating because my GP only has basic mental health knowledge and only sees me once every three months so really has no clue as to things I struggle with on a daily basis. Luckily, I have access to a Welfare Rights Officer who said he will help me appeal if my claim gets rejected.

3. Sazza

Sazza I'm a VIP

I am in the UK kate but not sure how it all works. I know the system is rubbish as in those that really struggle are the ones that end up worse off and ill with worry. I don't claim DLA or incapacity but have had incapcity in the past but its all changed since then. Have you tried directgov wesbsite lots information about benefit on there. Sorry just red here that you already get it. Not sure about US system and how it works.

I relate to the worrying sick i have just had to apply for ESA because my sick pay at work has now stopped and it has been so stressful and added to tipping me over the edge. I now have to complete a medical form and i just can't do it my concentration won't allow me to and i just don't have energy or words to contend with it.

4. Aine

Aine Active Member

If you're getting treatment with the NHS, then you should have access to a Welfare Right Officer who will help you put in an application for DLA. If you're not getting treatment, then it might be a good idea to get a psychiatrist if you don't already have one and see if they can put you in touch with one. The help is out there but it's a case of knowing the right incantations :)

5. Sazza

Sazza I'm a VIP

Thanks Aine i don't have a psych at the moment, i seen one in hospital but that as far as it went. I don't really trust medical people at the moment but thanks for the heads up will bear it in mind.

6. Lucycat

Lucycat "Wisdom begins in wonder." ~ Socrates ~ Premium Member

Here, in Scotland, the local Welfare Rights Officer, is employed by the local council, not the NHS. As such you do not need to be receiving any treatment to get help. It is just a matter of phoning the local Social Work department and asking for an appointment.

7. persephone87

persephone87 New Member

O applied for ESA using my PTSD as my disability, it was initially turned down, I appealed and found out today it was denied again on the grounds that basically theres nothing wrong with me. I have no choice now but to get a job despite the fact I can't leave home alone and I get panic attacks if I'm alone with a group of people I told them this but I don't qualify. I have no idea what to do :( I also applied for DLA and was turned down because in the last year I managed ONCE to walk 300 yards alone.

8. Curly

Curly New Member

Persephone, have you tried speaking to your local MP or CAB? My B/F was accepted on his appeal with help from the Citizens Advice Bureau and MP then his MP told him to apply for DLA and it was awarded too. It's worth a try. I don't know anyone's circumstances on here but if anyone is serving or is ex services I would recommend the Royal British Legion (I'm sure they won't mind me advertising them). They can get you help regarding benefits through specially appointed CAB Advisors.

Froggie likes this.
  9. persephone87

persephone87 New Member

Thanks Curly, I tried the CAB for DLA and was turned down. My PTSD is from sexual violence, they don't seem to understand the effect its having even though I'm in therapy, on medication and awaiting Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. At the moment I'm ready to give up in all honesty. I'm going to speak to my doctor and counsellor but I can't see it going in my favour it seems to be a recurring theme.

Froggie likes this.
  10. Curly

Curly New Member

I can only imagine how hard and disheartening that is but try your local MP or a member of your local council. Keep trying, do not give up (easy for me to say I know) Britain needs to realise that PTSD is a disease and suffers like yourself need support. Good luck with the CBT as well, it'll be tough but from what I've witnessed it's worth it. ((Persephone))

Froggie likes this.
  11. Froggie

Froggie When it seems impossible, the possible happens

I was accepted for disability because of my psychiatrist's report - her evaluation.

12. persephone87

persephone87 New Member

They didnt ask for anything from my doctor or counsellor or the psychologist I'm waiting to see they just went off the woman who did my assessment who said basically I lookedd ok I had dressed myself and I wasnt sitting shaking or sweating therefore I was fine. I have an appointment with CAB tomorrow and in the meantime I applied for job seekers, it is so disheartening :(

13. Lionheart777

Lionheart777 Healing Warrior Premium Member

In the states, I waited 5 months after applying for benefits before I began to receive them...this is the minimum amount of wait time. I think it went quick due to the decade of documentation that I had supporting my claim.

For me, it was not difficult to qualify for benefits but then, my case was considered severe and established among the medical community....so I dunno, anyways, ...that was my experience.

It must be terribly frustrating to need services and benefits and not receive them...my heart goes out to any/all of you that are in that situation!!!

14. Sandra

Sandra I'm a VIP

I took the early retirement instead of going on disability. No way in hell was I going to deal with those nasty insurance companies again. Plus here in Ontario disability is pretty much a poverty pay. And no way could I afford to live on that amount.

15. catlover83

catlover83 New Member

Hi Everyone! I am from Alberta,Canada. I have the same ailments as one of the other members. I have a hard time going anywhere as I break out in a dripping sweat etc. I have been off work for a year now and collecting welfare. Now they have given me two months to get a job even with a doctors note saying I am unable to work. What can I do?

<Edited to forum default style font. By Amethist>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.