• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll How Often Do You Pray?

How Often Do You Pray?

• Once a day.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Twice per day.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Three times per day.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Frequently throughout the day.

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • As often as I remember to do so.

Votes: 24 16.3%
  • Only before meals.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only when in dire need.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Only before bed.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Never.

Votes: 63 42.9%
  • Other. (Please explain).

Votes: 15 10.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to pray and spend a lot of time and energy trying to figure out God's plan. I do meditate and feel a spiritual connection to other people and our earth.

Now, I no longer believe in a God so I no longer pray. But the idea of God helped me survive the child abuse I was raised with and I'm very glad religion helps so many people. Whatever works is great.

Instead of praying, I fill that time with self-comfort, reaching out to others, asking people for the help I need, and taking whatever actions possible to help resolve or at least help whatever situation I am made aware of.

Instead of praying for people with cancer, for example, I send letters to congress asking for more funding, or I send cash to their family to help with expenses. Instead of praying for someone to feel better, I contact them directly and give them my time and ear to listen, or find out if they'd like food delivery and pick up the tab.

I find I am far more at peace and less worried. I feel far better about myself and my place in this world. I feel more empowered and less anxious. But that is only my experience. I say go with what works for ourselves.

I think God/Religion is a very difficult topic. I was raised in a "religious" household. My family quoted that all you had to do was ask God to forgive your sins and they would be forgiven--as I was being traumatized every night. Can you see where things are confusing for me?
I have been educated more as I have gotten older, but I just can't wrap my head around God being anything but disappointing. Please, no negative comments, I am only speaking my honest truth.

Meditation and prayer are not related in anyway.

Meditation is a set of techniques used to fully experience this moment alone and to realize one's true nature.
Prayer is believed to be a communication between a human and a deity/higher power of some description.

I pray first thing in the morning, before I even get out of bed (back exercises + prayer), and right before sleep at night. I pray often during the day. I try to avoid the "magic genie" prayers (God, please let me make this next traffic late because I'm late, or God please let me win the lottery, etc.). I mostly pray to keep me connected and focused, and I pray for others.

@TXbandit

May I ask you what aspects of your faith that you have trouble believing?
Many people have doubts but are surrounded by those who would condemn them for having doubts. So they struggle in silence with no one to ask. Is this you?

It is ok to question. :)

@void It is not that I have trouble believing anything it is something different and very personal. I have a hard time talking about it. It has nothing to do with other people condemning. It's just me. Thank you for taking the time to ask :) It's just touchy subject for me. Hence I did not go in depth on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back