1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

How To Find PTSD Experienced Phsycologist?

Discussion in 'Treatment & Therapy' started by APB, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. APB

APB New Member

I am wanting to seek help again. I have seen counselors and a phsycologist in the past. I think I am at a point where I would benefit from them more now then I did then.
    I dont want meds, so is a phsycologist better than a phsyciatrist for PTSD help?
    I have searched the internet for local experienced phsycologists, not much info.
    I live in Spokane, Washington area.

Thanks for any advise.

APB

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Hi APB,

You might want to check with your closest university's psychology center and see if they have any doctor's that are experienced with PTSD. Or call the local VA center/hospital to see the same thing.

My first therapist I found through my health insurance's directory. Big waste of my time. The one I have now was found by making phone calls until I found one that specialized in PTSD. Sometimes it takes time, but it can be done.

Good luck.
    Lisa

4. tk321

tk321 New Member

It's well worth the time to find a therapist/psychiatrist who specializes in trauma disorders. My girlfriend's former psychiatrist prescribed a bad combination of medications that exacerbated her PTSD, rather than helping it. The general attitude was, "well, there's not much I can do for PTSD, so, here ... have some drugs. And have a few more on top of those."

She's now found a psychiatrist who knows medications well and can work in conjunction with her counselor -- who is awesome.

Don't be afraid to ask about the therapist's expertise. It's your health at stake here.

5. APB

APB New Member

Thank you for the advise. In addition to your tips, I also tried calling the city PD, local Sheriff Office and State Patrol, to see if they use a regular phsycologist for Police officer related PTSD. They did not have any references. I dont think the Law Enforcement System is on top of addressing Trauma stress, until it becomes a problem for the officer. Then he is on his own.
    I will keep calling around.

Thanks again

APB

6. WarHippy1%

WarHippy1% Active Member

Hi Andy,
    I noticed from your introduction that you are a Vet and that the original trauma occured while in the service. You have applied for service-connection for your PTSD haven't you? If not, you have a pretty good open and shut case, the trauma AND the help you tried to receive. The VA Medical System is also one of the best sources of how to treat PTSD. My old shrinks name was Dr. Jose Amato. He was fast becoming the VA's leading Psychiatrist on the subject of PTSD. I was his test drive dummy on new antidepressants. None of them helped me very much, just sorta flat-lined my emotions til somebody hit my buttons, then I unloaded everything on them. Like medications, Dr's come in good and bad flavors, but a shrink would be the best starting point, and the Vet Center, if they have one in your area, would be a good place for counseling, most times they can help more than a Psychologist, and you might want to check out any group therapy they have available. That's where I found the best help.
    Good Luck, just never give up,
    WarHippy1%

APB likes this.
  7. APB

APB New Member

Thanks WarHippy,

I served for 10 years, and I do have a military pention/medical retirement due to PTSD.
    I have also attended group therapy at the VA. It was helpful, in that I learned alot about PTSD, I am looking now for individual help.

Thank you for looking out for me, with the helpful information.

By the way, what is the 1% symbolize in your screen name? Are you a Biker?

APB

8. WarHippy1%

WarHippy1% Active Member

Guilty as charged, I hope this doesn't discount anything that I might post here, in your eyes. We are all here with a problem trying to draw strength from each other, to deal with this thing that tears all of our lives apart. Anyway, I have another suggestion for you, I didn't think of this before, and this isn't how I found the Psychologist I used to go to, but she told me that she was one of the courts expert witnesses on the subject of PTSD. Maybe that info is available to the public. That would be my choice of therapy, someone recognized as an expert in it.
    Respect,
    WarHippy1%

9. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

err.. no bikers on this forum ha ha. No, it does not effect your creditability. I was in the scene and ducked out and covered my tats. We all have a history and a biker club is part of many here. You are still at home.

10. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

I will actually contribute here since I piped in. Finding one who even advertises as PTSD is normally BS (experiences). Finding one is dumb luck really. You call and ask if they have experience with it. Then you go in for one or two appointments to see if they really do. You can tell. I now have one who has this and it was dumb luck. The second therapist I was to see canceled a few days before our appointment. Family emergency. But a name out of a list she gave me I called and bam we match and she has PTSD.

I suggest to ask if your therapist has had a panic attack and see if they open up. Mine have. My one back in Texas told me a lot of shit and I also know his first girlfriend had the same name as I. My new one was told she would die before divorce and was battered. A good "doc" will tell you things to relate to you. If the are all professional all the time it may be a pain.

VA was a no go. My hubs called to find out who they send vets to just to find a doc who does this and they said they could not help as I was not a vet so would not even spill a doc who treats. VA is bull. I thought so but this confirmed it. My dad was shot down and a broken back, but gee they lost that part of the file of he has a broken back.

11. APB

APB New Member

Hippy,

Thank you for your advice.

No its not a problem that you are a biker, I ride a Springer. I don't have an issue that you are in a motorcycle club, or gang. I am just not impressed with, or approve of overt, outlaw, bikers. Such as the ones who claim to be a member of the 1%, and brag about it. I base this opinion on my numerous observations of the HA's in my area. They have no respect for others.
    If someone was looking for family, they could find it in a legitimate, law abiding, club just as easily as an outlaw club. If someone were looking for money they could get a job just as easily as making it illegally. So what is the point of being in an outlaw club, and claiming to be 1%.

Yes we are both Vets. We both have PTSD. We both ride motorcycles. That doesn't mean we have to accept each others choices in life.

But in the end, I am not judging you specifically, as I do not know you.

APB

12. APB

APB New Member

I found a phsycologist through the local PD here in town. She has counseled Police Officer for 26 years. I have an appointment with her in one week. I will let you all know how it goes.

APB

13. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Also read: [DLMURL]http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread280.html[/DLMURL]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar