1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

How to Readjust After Being in Hospital?

Discussion in 'General' started by hodge, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member Donated

I'm back home after being in the hospital for a couple of days. Well, actually, it was a crisis intervention place. There were therapists and nurses, but it wasn't really a hospital. And there was no aftercare plan suggested to me, as I assume they figured I would be okay with my psych and med nurse.

This is the first time I've ever been through something like this. I don't know if I should just be trying to relax for a couple days or whether I should be jumping right in to processing this or what. I should mention the confinement amounted to another traumatic experience to me (some of the gory details are in my diary).

So, while I will work on this with my psych, of course, I thought it would also be helpful to hear from anyone else who's been through this kind of thing - or whose loved one has. I'd really appreciate any sharing of experiences, feelings, what you did when you got home, how you dealt with the reality of this. Thanks in advance.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

I am sorry to hear you've been having a tough time Hodge. I have not yet read that part of your diary however I will make a brief comment here. From my experience with Evie being in hospital, I believe you should take it easy for a couple of days. Relax, take good care of yourself and do not put too many demands upon yourself. There was obviously a reason you were in hospital, I assume stress and anxiety were involved, so best not to push yourself too hard at the moment. You don't want to get yourself ill all over again. With Evie we insist she rest, at least for a day or so. You may still think about what has happened and process it whilst resting. Perhaps write in a journal a bit, and talk to your family and friends if you feel up to it. I would not jump into any heavy exposure therapy. I know with Evie, that simply makes her worse. She does need that rest firstly. Not certain if any of this has been helpful. Do take good care and I hope you get some good feedback from others.

4. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member Sponsor $100+

Hi Hodge,

Sorry that you had to be in the hospital. Sometimes it can be a good thing...From the sounds of your post here, it wasn't good for you.

If you had a tough time in the hospital, then take your time to recover. Relax (or try to) sleep if you can, and do things that you enjoy.. If you can get with your T, and talk that would be good too.

Eventually we have to "get back to life" but I would take it easy for a few days if you can....

Hugs...

5. logan

logan Guest

hi hodge
    it takes time to get use to home again
    back into the ways before
    i looked for the things that i was comfortable with
    and build from their
    and we get our life back which is our indpendence
    logan

6. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Sorry you were in the hospital Hodge. I had no idea, I haven't read your diary for a really long time. As you know I've been in hospital lots... I just got out again myself about a week ago or so. Personally I would rest for a couple of days and make sure to eat healthy foods and keep hydrated. Not eating properly just adds to the feeling of being unwell I find. Also try not to beat yourself up for having been in the hospital in the first place. I have done a lot of that. I often feel guilty that I worried my family and I feel defeated and ashamed that I ended up in there. But I try to go easy on myself more now. If talking to your psych helps then do that, and also try to do some things you find fun if you are up to it. I went out with Dad today, we visited this trail/park area that I hadn't been to since I was a little kid, it was a really great memory for me, it cheered me up. If you can think of something to do that makes you feel more "among the living" and back into life it helps I find.

Also I didn't read your diary about the bad things that happened when you were in hospital, but I had a bad experience in hospital back in February I believe it was, a nurse mistreated me. I found it helpful to be pro-active about that situation, my family helped me write a letter of complaint and the nurse was reprimanded. So if it's the kind of situation where you can be pro-active that way I would do so. That helped me to feel better about things.

Anyways take care Hodge and I hope you feel better soon.

7. ovation228

ovation228 Member

Definitely take it easy if you can... the experience of going to the hospital should take some time to process. Find some time to enjoy privacy and quiet... things you tend to lose in the hospital.

8. hodge

Thanks for the ideas and support, everyone. About all I've been able to do is eat and sleep...can't even really comment more now, just...thanks. I don't feel so alone in this now.

9. hodge

The worst thing about my experience (aside from knowing I couldn't leave on my own) was that the only other person who was being held there was a man a few years older than me who looked very much like both an old boyfriend who assaulted me and the first man who tried to molest me when I was 11. That might not have been so bad except that he constantly stared at me.

His room was right next to mine. Of course, no one's room had a lock, because it was a crisis/suicide watch place. There was an office for the staff near the common area where we were held, but much of the time no one was there. I also saw there were security mirrors and such, but the fact is, I did not feel safe. I hid in my room, ate in my room. When I felt really scared, I could go in the bathroom in my room and lock that door. It was like being in a nightmare.

The last night I was there I heard a woman screaming during the middle of the night. My only thought was relief that now maybe there would be another woman there with us. (At that point I didn't know when I would be able to leave.) But in the morning, there was no new woman there. I never even thought to ask about the screaming.

10. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Ugh that's creepy Hodge. Sorry you had such a bad experience. That's weird there was no one at the desk or nurse's station a lot of the time. It sounds like this place was pretty small? Maybe if you ever have to go in there again (which I hope you don't) you could mention your safety concerns? I really think they are valid considering the circumstances. You could even write a letter to the hospital board about your experience.

11. hodge

Yeah, the place was very small. And I believe the staff ran a phone crisis line/walk-in center on the other side of that office. While I was there I told everyone I talked to how triggering this was for me and most of the staff was as accommodating as possible, given the setup of the place. But I'm going to do everything possible to avoid ever having to go there again.