• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sexual Assault How To Tell If A Man You Know Could Rape You.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do scroll down to check the comment section, and swiftly report those which go against the TOS on YouTube as well.
If you want to do this with your time and effort because you feel it's the right thing to do, that's great. More power to you, I don't think it's wrong to do. It's the type of troll comments and the platform on which they are posted, that I feel makes it pointless in my opinion.

If for some reason I feel the need to read comments there. If want to know what the song playing in the background is called, is one reason.
I just ignore the derogatory crap.

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. If I happen upon a comment like this:

"Hey math teacher (inset sexist garbage) you didn't want to go back to your kitchen. Here you go. Have a nice day...
  • Mrs. Jane Doe
  • Current address 1234 generic street, Detroit Michigan zip 15243
  • Social security# 124567
  • Driver's licence# 87644432-567865
  • Credit card nuber 1234 5678 9123
This I would absolutely report. That's f*cking scary.
Anything could happen. From being robbed, stalked, all the way to, having the swat team storming her home. Because some little asshole thought it would be funny to call in a fake bomb threat, or hostage situation with a barricaded gunman.

I also report things here, as this place feels more like a community. To me that's worth my time and effort.
Unlike youtube, you have to really be looking to notice the few trolling toxic posts. Instead of having to search for the few good ones.

I'm *NOT* going to tell you you're wrong. Who knows, maybe it will work one day.

Edit: Woops, sorry. I accidentally omitted an extremely important word for context In the last two sentences.

Last edited:
If you want to do this with your time and effort because you feel it's the right thing to do, that...

I report, on YouTube, what goes against the T.O.S.
Regardless of the topic - which will include those that contain abuse, bullying, harassment, hate speech against women, as well.
First, it's a habit (for the reasons I stated), so I do it automatically; second, well it will spare some innocent people from another moment of abuse. Since we can't know the kind of life and daily experiences each person faces, it can make the difference between relapse and another day of hanging on, or even between life or death. Even if only one person is saved from reading something abusive and inadequate, it is already worth it for me :')
No, I do not go randomly on videos on YouTube to read comments, nor stay there for three days reading every single comment :hilarious:; but I do have the habit of scrolling down and reading the comments after watching whichever video I happen to watch
This, originally to say why I read the comments, and to agree that many times the content is preposterous, and even dangerous - which is quite sad

Most sexual predators are evil. Psychologists have gone to great lengths attempting to define evil in more professionally respected ways, from Hare's checklist naming it "psychopathy" to neurological research on the brains of prison inmates who have committed especially vile acts to lengthy studies covering the "dark triad" themes. I don't really care what anyone wants to call it, and I'm fine with professionals wanting to research and understand it, perhaps even to help prevent it someday. But evil people cannot be taught to not be evil. By its very nature, they would not desire to be any other way, only to not get caught or have consequences. They will not cease unless there is a perceived high risk of grave consequence. Personally, if one of them ever assaults me, they had better kill me in the process, or my vengeance will be most horrific and the masses will know of it. I have only ever seen a similar thing in the news once before in my entire life. A woman was raped by her husband in front of his friends, and later she cut off his dick while he was deep in drunken sleep and drove away with it.

I don't agree that rape is never about sex. Sometimes it is; sometimes it isn't. It affects the victim the same, but the predator is not always looking to dominate or control. It is shortsighted to think that there are no rapes that occur solely because the man wants sexual gratification from a woman who will not consent. It's much like the dogma we hear about pedophiles who rape boys always being heterosexual. Some are and some aren't.

I think as a society we often let political correctness blind us to the obvious. I suppose painting the rapist as someone who is after control rather than sexual gratification is a way to vilify him more and make things more black and white, but it doesn't make it true. Telling ourselves that he is a sick individual, who is spurred by a need to control, makes us feel safer because then we can be more confident that most men can be trusted. But it is not always true. There are A LOT of men who can't be trusted, especially depending on the situation. A lot of the narratives here, about men who took advantage of drunk or drugged females, especially when it was done by a so-called friend, shows me that rape is not always about power.

I don't agree that rape is never about sex.

You know, I've said that maybe a bazillion times... That rape is never about sex / and in both my first hand experience it never has been & in my education that conclusion has been taught as fact just cementing it... But I've begun to very seriously reconsider my opinion.

Raising a teenage boy, and reading not just on here with freeze response & maybe screaming nooooooo in your head but their partner having no reasonable way to tell (which has me very firmly in the camp of the young people who are filming all of their sexual encounters, as self protection against charges of assault)... And also having witnessed for years people's shitty ass boundaries and absolute unwillingness to talk about sex openly? Even with their own partner? IDK. Murky as hell. There are parts of rape and sexual assault that always have been... Forced prostitution leaps readily to mind... But can rape itself sometimes be about sex & not about power? Or what it thought of as sex by 1 person, while rape by another? I can see both. I don't know if that's accurate or not. But I can see it. Like I said. Reconsidering.

Last edited:
. A lot of the narratives here, about men who took advantage of drunk or drugged females, especially when it was done by a so-called friend, shows me that rape is not always about power.
While I understand your point of view, most experts will disagree with you. Rape is about inflicting the rapist anger at the victim. It is about domination and hurting them. It is not about sex.

And I question those experts. Rape is happening all around us, all the time, and we're supposed to pretend that none of the rapists were opportunists who wanted sexual gratification. We're supposed to pretend that they are all driven by an urge to hurt the victim. Sounds like magical-thinking to me. Serial rapists would likely fall into the experts' categorization, but all those other rapes? Is a teenager with raging hormones, who sees a drunk female and forces/coerces her into sex, more likely spurred by dominance or lust? A kid who isn't really a thief, will sometimes steal something if it is easy enough and valuable enough. But we're supposed to believe that no horny kid has ever stolen sex?

And please understand I'm not making light of it. I'm not comparing theft to rape. And I'm not suggesting that the motivation should determine the punishment. I'm just pointing out how shortsighted it is to think that rape cannot be committed by lust alone. It's just dogma that we're fed. The stereotypical john paying for straight up regular sex (which is the vast majority of johns) doesn't get sexual gratification by the thought of paying for sex. He wants sex with a particular woman, and he pays to get it. If thousands of men are willing to pay for sex, why should we believe that no men are willing to steal it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back