• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Howdy - Diagnosed with PTSD 3 years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

nov_silence

MyPTSD Pro
Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Antoinette and I was diagnosed with PTSD three years ago. I most recently had to go on medical leave from my school counseling job at the end of the academic year. I worked at a bookstore for less than two months before I was in the hospital in September. That was the third hopsital visit in the past three years (the second one this year)

I was physically and psychologically abused by my parents;esp my mother. I was also sexually abused when I between the second and third grade.

It's been really hard not working, but I needed the time to do intensive outpatient. i now need to re-start individual counseling, but I am in the process of finding a new counselor. I miss working as a counselor... miss my students a whole lot, but I am doing the right thing for myself... for the first time in my life. And trying to not feel guilty about it.

I hope to be working within the next week doing temp stuff. Taking it easy. Hopefully by the spring I will start looking at counseling jobs again.

I have been depressed as long as I can remember. Anxiety really took hold in the past three years. Medication helps

I live in Maryland with my three dogs and my husband. He also struggles with PTSD. :hello:

Hi Antoinette, welcome aboard. Does that mean your husband has PTSD also, of just struggles with your PTSD? Are yes... this just keeps reinforcing my theory on parents having to be licensed before trying for children.

Hi Antoinette! Welcome to our "family."

We're so glad you found us; now you'll be able to get support for everything you've gone through and everything you're about to go through...

I'm sorry to hear how you got PTSD. I was also a victim of abuse at the hands of my mother (physical) and brother (physical and sexual). It just really sucks, doesn't it?

Take off your jacket and stay awhile...

Hi Antoinette glad you joined here. My name here is Joannag I'm also a child sexual abuse survivor with PTSD. I was sexually abused at five by my dad, repeatedly raped at nine by neighbourhood boys. Raped at fourteen at a house party by unknown person. The guys here offering support are super and it is a safe place to vent your feelings, frustrations, fears anxiety ect. I have been having a hard time but little by little this sight has been helping put things in perspective for me.:redface:

Welcome

Wow... that makes two or three here now with both having PTSD within a relationship... yet still just the one with them and their son having PTSD, being bec. Interesting... do you think it makes it easier or harder in that both have PTSD? I know you should have some repore as such, in not having to explain yourselves to one another atleast, because the other would know how you feel already...

It definitately is harder for me here. I feel my hubby is incapable of supporting me because of his own post tramatic stress. He manages outside of home fine. It's different with me however, I think fear holds him back so he gives into the stress, has quick outburts of anger than leaves for days at a time. His friends believe it is my fault he leaves which doesn't help either. He was savagely abused by his father growing up, along with his mother and brothers. He than lost his mom, and one brother in a car accident at fifteen. His abusive father survived and one of his brothers who is now braindamaged by it. It definately affects us both at home negatively because he can't/won't deal with my stress disorder at all.

My name is Antoinette and I was diagnosed with PTSD three years ago.

I worked at a bookstore for less than two months before I was in the hospital in September. That was the third hopsital visit in the past three years (the second one this year)

I was physically and psychologically abused by my parents;esp my mother. I was also sexually abused when I between the second and third grade.

It's been really hard not working, but I needed the time to do intensive outpatient.

He also struggles with PTSD. :hello:

Hello, Antoinette and Welcome! I'll call you nov silence from now on. Super glad you found us now and not one minute later. So you were diagnosed PTSD 3 yrs. ago and I imagine you've had it a lot longer than this. I believe I was officially diagnosed in 1995 though I'm certain I suffered with this, alone far longer than this. I've been hospitalized too, more than once and the craziest thing about it was some of these times I'd be in as a patient and appear to be one of the most normal people there. People would approach me and think I was staff or something. My hospitalizations were the most bizarre things because I often spoke and believed myself perfectly normal, in fact I am in many ways, and we'all just couldn't figure out why I was there. Little did anyone know my traumatic experiences, It didn't even dawn on me to mention them while in the hospital. Nov silence, I too was phys., and psychol. abused by my parents (all 3 of them) and perhaps sexually abused, but this one I simply cannot accept yet. So I won't comment further on this. Though its really hard for you to be not working, I do hope you accept and take this time now to begin healing rather than wait or deny your PTSD, as I had to. There is no cure for PTSD, but there is control of it and great improvement if you're willing to do the work. Weeks before I found this site I started thinking, what the hell is my problem, I haven't worked in numerous years. Well, it has also been numberous yrs. since I've been able to find and receive help for my PTSD. You'll find great help and hope here in this forum and and I'm trusting you'll further seek and find every ounce you need, because I just know you're worth it. With a husband with PTSD too, you'll need double our prayers. Best for you, Antoinette .......and I hear animals are good for PTSD.

Welcome, welcome. So glad to see you here. I hope this will help you cope knowing that we are here for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back