• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General Husband Has PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucy Loo

Confident
Hi everyone,

I have been lurking on this site for a couple of months - have been wanting to post, but don't even know where to start talking about everything. So today I figured I have to start somewhere, at least an introduction of myself.

My husband was diagnosed with PTSD a couple of years ago. We've been married for 11 years, and from the get-go things have been turbulent. We both have our issues - I myself am a recovering alcoholic who is not exactly emotionally healthy either and my husband has had recurring bouts of major depression and now the PTSD diagnosis.

Right now, where I am at, I feel the weight of the world on my shoulders. I don't have a very good support system. My parents live nearby, but are getting elderly and have been having severe health problems (my father had hip replacement and triple bypass this past summer, my mom has parkinson's and was recently diagnosed and being treated for breast cancer). We have two young children and our finances are poor, to say the very least. I lost my sister to cancer a few years ago.

I know that I am taking on too much in my head - that I worry about too much when I really have little control over anything. And then there's dealing with the emotions involving my husband's and my own problems - anger at him, anger at myself for things that have been done or have been left undone.....knowing that that anger is natural, but needs to be dealt with....and not knowing how to deal with it. Being frightened of the future. Being frightened of the present.

Help? :dontknow:

Welcome to the forum Lucy. I am a little short of time at present but look forward to talking with you in the future.

Hi Lucy

I wasn't on this forum when you first posted this introduction but things are pretty similiar here. Hubby and I have been married 18yrs with no children save for a couple of great nieces and nephews who we used to be closer to. Hubby fears his PTSD will rear it's head when they are around so the visits have been pretty much curtailed and he hasn't visited them for a long while.

I lost my father to cancer in the early 80's & mom in the late 90's. Hubby lost his mom three years ago and his step-father (the only father he cared about) three months later. That's about the time he was diagnosed with PTSD and the major dissociation kicked in right after which has all but ruined us financially.

You do have a lot on your plate and, like us, very little by way of a support system.

I understand with all my heart the fear of the present and future. My biggest fear is the present because everything seems to closing in so tightly around me that I can't put much fear or thought into the future. I am just trying to make it day to day for right now. The standard for every day seems to be one foot forward into a hurricane that knocks you a half a mile back.

I wish and pray that things could be better for the both of us and our hubbies. One day at a time...one day at a time.

Hugz!!
Robyn

Hi Robyn :hello:

I sent you a PM yesterday after I saw the friendship request from you.

I totally understand the day to day struggle. Right now we have zero dollars, all our bills are due, the car needs repairs, and the toilet pipe is leaking into our basement. My husband currently gets SSDI and it ain't much for sure! He's applied for veterans disability, but haven't heard anything yet. I try to just do what I can, and tell myself that the best that I can do is the best that I can do, know what I mean?

Check yer messages for a pm from me. Hang in there!

:Hug_emoticon:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back