1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Hypnosis And PTSD

Discussion in 'Treatment & Therapy' started by mouse, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mouse

mouse Well-Known Member

Hi everyone I was just wondering does anybody have any personal experiences with using Hypnotherapy EMDR for helping deal with PTSD

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Mouse, there is a lot of information on this forum in regard to EMDR and some on hypnotherapy also. Both have advantages and disadvantages, depending on how much trauma has been suffered. If you have suffered prolonged childhood abuse, or war, then EMDR is not a recommended method of trauma therapy as too much can be unwillingly brought back at once, thus overloading the brain and causing brain damage. If your trauma is not that significant, then hypnotherapy or EMDR can be very effective.

I would be more concerned about the therapists qualifications in regard to it though than the actual practice itself, as that is what makes the difference at the end of the sessions.

4. mouse

mouse Well-Known Member

I have read as much as I think my little brain can process, I have been told by my psych doc that because of my issues and the fact that there are many compiled on top of another, but one of my concerns was that comment that we should wait till I am completely unable to function before we tackle these I realize that it will be very traumatic I just can't wrap my head around the idea of waiting till I am worse than I am know. For me the reason that I sought help for this after hiding it for many years was indication enough that it was severe. I don't know I feel like when I am finally ready for help no one will help me.

5. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

You don't have to be at your worst to get help, because dealing with your trauma will show you your worst whether you want it or not. I think your doc is a bit off in this regard. Using some techniques to heal is the issue, because some have less risk for either permanent brain damage or death, depending on which is used.

6. Freddy_hiding_less

Freddy_hiding_less Active Member

First, my story is about emotional childhood neglect and not abuse, even a neglect that I can understand due to the circumstances we lived under with my parent’s health problems and psychological problems.

Now, this Wednesday I was in hypnotherapy when my therapist guided me into a situation to meet "my" healthy caring and loving parents, this was a strange experience, I kind of floated in age between now and being an infant, I know I wanted them to reach out for me I trusted these Imaginary ideal parents intention and capacity, and at the same time I fought them with everything I had to keep them away, until I was exhausted, all this imaginary, then I fell in a deep relaxation with myself forgetting about the imaginary journey.

This fits so well with pushing people I care about out of my life. Maybe this is a way to access and heal this old wound, I hope so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar