1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

I am a Newly Diagnosed PTSD Sufferer

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by gfranson, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gfranson

gfranson New Member

Hi. I was just diagnosed with PTSD yesterday am. It makes sense. I was sexually abused most of my teen years by my father's best friend. My father just shined it on when I told him. Now after 30 some years, it is really starting to affect my life. I mean, it has always affected my life but I didn't really pay attention or didn't want to pay attention. Now my insides are screaming for help. I have been on different depression meds off and on for years. I even think I am a sexual addict. My therapist tells me that this will take years to work through but dealing with the sexual abuse will help with the other things going on in my life. I believe her and trust her. I have never felt this way with any other therapist. After talking with her for awhile, I do believe this is my life. I am always looking for support from others and they only way I know how is through sex. I have two boys and am happily married but my marriage is strained. We will be going through counseling as well as my PTSD therapy. I can't express my feelings because when I tried with my father, it went nowhere so I keep them in until I blow. Usually my kids suffer because I blow by expecting them to be perfect, or perfect to my standard. My husband suffers too. We just fight then. I also have terrible nightmare, per my hubby, and I don't remember them. Also, I think I might be a little bipolar. My therapist says maybe and we will deal with it in time. I will be working in a book titled "The PTSD Workbook". Has anyone worked with this book? I am excited and nervous. I even more scared. I think I have a great support network but very new that I need to work on that. I am so glad you are all here to talk with. I wish you all well and hope I do well with my therapy.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Farmer

Farmer Active Member

Hello gfranson Nice meet you. I to waited decades before getting help,it did'nt seem to work:{ It's terrable your father shined you on when you needed sapport the most, it must of devestating to you.

4. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Hi G,

Welcome to the forum. That must of pretty much been like hitting the nail into the coffin I imagine, when your father basically rejected you come to him about this issue. I think it may off probably been more to do with, that he just didn't know what to do, as we males tend to want to just fix the problems, not work through them. I have no doubt this was a problem he couldn't fix, so maybe he did what only come to him first!!!

Sexual abuse as a child, I imagine, would be nothing short of devastating to the sufferer. As parents, it is expected they look after us, and not let these type things happen to us, or if they do happen once, they are there to protect us from it happening again. It sucks, to put it bluntly, what has happened to you, and all others who get abused as children. Absolutely sucks.

The good thing though, is that you are in therapy, getting professional advice and help, to ensure you work through these past issues and get them out enough so that you can get back to some sort of normalicy within life again, regain some of your marriage and relationship with your children.

I haven't heard or seen "The PTSD Workbook", though I would love to get a copy of such a book if readily available. How does one get a copy of this book? Is it available throughout the world or just something your physician uses?

5. piglet

piglet Well-Known Member

Amazon.com: The PTSD Workbook: Simple, Effective Techniques for Overcoming Traumatic Stress Symptoms (9781572242821): Mary Beth Williams, Soili Poijula: Books

This is where to find info on it here in the uk. Not sure if OZ has amazon? I have the ptsd sourcebook, which is another recommended one. In fact, I have quite a ptsd/trauma library! Must be the lecturer in me! I'm reading one called "the body remembers" at the moment. It hits so close to home that I can only read a page every now and again, then I have to go away and think about it for a while.

Have just noticed that I have all but one book on the "customers who bought this also bought..." section! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  6. piglet

piglet Well-Known Member

Forgot to say "Hi". Welcome to the forum GF!

7. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Cool, thanks Piglet. I just looked them up through an Australian book store, and got:

• Counselling for Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
    • I Can't Get Over It: A Handbook for Trauma Survivors
    • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Sourcebook
    • The Ptsd Workbook: Simple, Effective Techniques for Overcoming Traumatic Stress Symptoms
    That should keep me busy for a while.

8. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

I read and reread the book "Can't get over it." It nailed it for me. I couldn't believe how I could read myself in that book.

Hello gfranson! Good to meet you. Welcome aboard. :smile:

9. piglet

piglet Well-Known Member

I have that too. It was the first chapter that explains the diagnosis that tipped me over the edge and made me do something. It was scary when I got through the checklist and then looked to see what the results meant. F***ing Hell! If there were grades, then I think I would get straight "A"s, as would pretty much everyone here I think.

10. gfranson

gfranson New Member

thank you very much

Thanks for all the wonderful responses. It makes me feel like I am not alone in my journey through this mess. I want to thank you for the book suggestions. I am finding the book very interesting. I am still in the first chapter and I am suppose to get through the first 3 chapters in the next 3 weeks. Concerning my father. I think you are right about doing what he knew how to do it but he didn't even end the friendship to protect me. I love my father very much but have a very distant relationship with him. That bothers me. But I know I will get through it in time. The checklist, WOW, I just finished it. I can't believe it either. It has put me over the edge but I am coping right now. I haven't slept in 2 days but will call my therapist on Monday to talk about that issue. Again, glad to meet you all and will be chatting with you along the way. Good luck to you all. God Bless.