• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I am a psychologist with ptsd

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Papif

I am currently a provisional psychologist. I have struggled with mental health issues since I was 14. I find it really tough to support any client who has experienced sexual trauma. I have even dissociated in session with a client. I feel like a failure a lot of the time as I feel as though I can't even help myself, so what use will I be to other people?

It's not uncommon for mental health professionals to have their own mental health issues. It seems to make for a more empathetic understanding of your clients
This is a problem for both you and you clients. You are doing yourself and your client a disservice by not addressing your issues. I'm sure you DO help but you need to be grounded in session. Personally, I have a great deal of trouble and would be completely lost if my therapist was not already grounded and able to help me sometimes.

Are you currently in therapy? If not, why not?

Are you currently being supervised by anyone? This is an issue that should be addressed to adjust your caseload, refer those particular clients to other professionals and meanwhile get yourself back together you so you be a better help those types of clients and lead a happier life yourself.
this is a great board to talk to other people who have ptsd but there are precious few professionals here. Feel free to stick around

For what's worth, it's admirable for you to recognize that you're having some issues. I applaud you for that. I responded before realizing someone said something similar... much better than I did.

If the lady psychologist that first caught onto my PTSD symptoms didn't suffer from it herself as the result of rape as she later confided, she probably would have been like everyone else and completely unable to comprehend my mirrored narcissistic attitude towards all of their annoying "tricky" freudian questions.

I first sought help out of concern that I might hurt someone and up until her was having serious regrets for having cared, so the way I see it you're more qualified as long as you can take car of yourself.

I can tell when my therapist dissociates in session. It doesn't help me when that happens... except the relationship is helping me. i want to tell my T "please don't give up on me, because I'm trying hard" so the therapists inability to give me excellent support isn't there. but good enough is still "good"

If you can't stay present for sexual abuse victims, don't take them on as clients.

It's immoral to take their money knowing that you can't give them a service they pay for.

I find it really tough to support any client who has experienced sexual trauma. I have even dissociated in session with a client.
Then choose a different area to work in?

I think having been through trauma yourself can make you a better match for someone in therapy, but ONLY if you worked on your own shit first and even then I don't think everyone could, or should, do it.

Have you talked to your supervisor frankly about this? What have they said?

If my T couldn't stay present for me in session or I could see that hearing my shit was having a negative impact on her, it would be really damaging.

"If I were you and had the option I'd stay away from counselling sexual assault victims period. It's a first hand understanding of the often unusual yet common spaghetti like symptoms that's an asset and I'd be surprised if something like just hearing the words sexual assault doesn't ignite something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back