• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer I am new here and need help on a job with ptsd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey! So I was just diagnosed with ptsd after coming out to my family about being sexually abused when I was younger. I am my own supporter (not close with family at all)which is very hard because its very hard for me to get through things. I have had many jobs in the past where I ethier get fired or quit because of the work environment. I have recently been hired at a call center where I have made enough money to get a apartment. But lately I have been in trouble at my job with simple things that I feel so bad for but honestly I cannot help. I have been given multiple verbal warnings about it to the point where they think I do not care.. I am trying so very hard to do my best and improve because I really do like this job. But it seems to always be something where I end up getting in trouble. I came out to my job about me having ptsd ,they gave me some papers to give to my doctor to feel out to get my disability accommodations. I went to a doctor and she adv me that a therapist will have to fill them out a referred me to Talbert House so basically in general it is going to be a process. I emailed my job about it and never heard back from them about it. I have weekly meetings with my boss and it feels like everytime I meet with her I end up getting multiple warnings that i need to sign.I feel like they are just getting enough paperwork to fire me.I have been very depressed lately about the whole situation.. I cannot afford to lose a well paying job now because if I lose this job I will lose my apartment,car everything! And Im afraid my ptsd suicidal thoughts will worsen..
Please help any suggestions?

Are you able to look for another job? I am sorry that this is happening to you. What do they say that you are doing to get into trouble?

Oh geez i have that problem too. I am so sorry. You seem to be doing your best so do not be hard on yourself okay?

Oh geez i have that problem too. I am so sorry. You seem to be doing your best so do not be hard on yourse...
My memory is very bad, I've had people who don't even know me say im irresponsible,dum or stupid.It is very hard to get by without a support system or even someone to talk to that understands where I am coming from. I used to be very out going but now as I get older And more independent, it is only becoming worse. I figured being tooken out this life would only ease my pain i could careless if I would be going to "hell" but I do thank and will try in be persistent on getting help.

It is very hard to get by without a support system or even someone to talk to that understands where I am coming from.

I understand where you are coming from for sure because I experience the same thing often in my life. I am a space cadet and that is that. You do need a support system and this is a good place and no one is going to call you dumb or stupid here, rather you will find like minded people who get you and truly understand. I know how hard it is to follow instructions and carry them out well. I have to keep going back and ask questions and it does try peoples patience sometimes, I wish it was not this way but it is. I have been this way my entire life and I pretty much say that I am slow but I get there eventually. lol

I'm a bit luckier in that my conditions were resulting from workplace, so that it would be illegal to fire me based on the shortcomings that resulted... I'm not certain, but if you have, or can get your condition verified by a doctor, is it possible to provide documentation and your sincere plea to them about your desire to do the best job you can etc?

Honestly can help if there's no better alternative.... they might then understand, and it being a recognized disability might give you some protection?

How about coming up with ways to help yourself manage this?

My memory for somethings isn't real good also. I'm self employed, so it's a bit different, but I have to be familiar with my hang ups and find work arounds. Some things, I know I must do right when they come up, or I'll forget. I tell my clients that the best way to contact me is via email, because the email is there, looking at me, reminding me deal with it. I flat out tell them that, if they want to call and leave a message, they can, but there's a good chance I'll listen to while I'm driving, then forget to call them back. I stress that this is not because i don't think their message important, or that i don't care, it's just the way my brain works. I give them choices, but i tell them what works best and what to expect. I make it a habit to fill out my mileage everyday, before I get out the car to inside. So I remember to pay bills, I stick them on the wall, by my desk, where I HAVE to see them, with the due date on the envelope. (The refrigerator works good too.) How you do it is going to depend on what you need to remember and how your brain works. I know if I see it, I'll remember it. If I can't see it, often it's gone.

I write stuff down. Partly because the act of doing it helps me remember. Partly because, when I start to second guess my memory, I can check it out. And I mean, I write stuff down that other people don't find difficult to remember.

I don't know that any of that will work, specifically, for you, but there must be something similar. And, discuss this with your boss, do they KNOW that you get that this is a problem, and KNOW that you're working on it. They might even be able to come up with some good ideas.

I'm a bit luckier in that my conditions were resulting from workplace, so that it would be illegal to fire...
Its something about my concentration also, I'll be talking on the phone with a worker and have to type what he says on the phone while I have other co workers laughing or talking in the background or moving,Ill instantly forget what they said on the phone...My boss will ask me about stuff like that. Then I'll just be lookin stupid when i say that I didn't hear them..I think I will schedule a doctor appointment asking if I could have a note stating my diagnosis..so they can atleast have something on my file till I start doing therapy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back