• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I Don't Need To Panic When.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't need to panic if someone doesn't answer a call.
I don't need to panic if there is someone behind me who I can't see.
I don't need to panic when I won't see someonr for a day (Darn, I'm panicking on that right now)
I don't need to panic and think I will fail in life if I get less than 100% on an exam.
I don't need to panic if I'm out in the open, with people around me.
I don't need to panic when someone says 'hi' to me.

But still, I panic...

I don't need to panic and think I will fail in life if I get less than 100% on an exam.

One of my Microbiology professors nixed this one for me...

"In real life, darn straight you'll have the book on front of you! Important stuff you look up. You don't guess. So all my tests aren't just open-book, but bring your notes. Any and all. Whatever works best for you. Period. Also, you've got a question? You ask your labmate, or me, or anyone else you thinks knows the answer. Just like you'd ask a colleague. This is real life, people. I'm testing accordingly. You can't cheat. A perfect score doesn't mean you memorized everything. A perfect score means you utilized your resources appropriately and came to the correct conclusion."

<grin> I loved his tests. 3 hour blocks, and the durn things were exciting. Satisfying. Confidence building. Thank you, Prof. Allen Farrand.

I came into college 'late'. Been in the military and been in the private sector for several years. And it's true. In virtually no case ever is a person locked alone in a room and asked to spout correct answers to complex problems with no assistance.

He was the first of many of my professors which recognized the artificial nature of tests, and actively sought to circumvent it.

I never understood the school v real life thing... Until that moment. Because school was my real life. Hello! I'm not imagining this! (It would be much more fun, for one). And then it hit me: Oh. It's because we're being taught things that are the exact opposite of what we'd do in real life. (Don't ask for help, you're not allowed to look at you notes... Vs you're expected/required to ask for help if you need or want it, and durn straight you'd better look up what you don't know!) Light. Bulb. Ahhhh.

I don't need to panic when I don't get all the work done at once.
I don't need to panic when something happens suddenly. (I'm able to react.)
I don't need to panic when I need my imaginary friends to survive and they don't appear. (They will return sooner or later.)

I don't need to panic when my boss is being a control freak
I don't need to panic when my house phone rings at night
I don't need to panic at the thought of walking through an alleyway
I don't need to panic when I hear someone has been raped
I don't need to panic, I need to be stronger and believe in me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back