1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Feel Bugs Crawling On Me!

Discussion in 'Anxiety & Panic Attacks' started by Heather, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Heather

Heather VIP Member Premium Member

I think I'm losing my mind. If I'm not freaking out from feeling hands.... Now I feel bugs crawling all over me. I don't know what to do. More grounding exercises?

Do I need to take a shower? I already took one today. Maybe I'm just over-tired. I guess when I start seeing the bugs crawling all over me then I know I'm in big trouble.

Anybody else feel bugs or am I the lucky one? Help! Any suggestions.
    Abstract likes this.
  2. Sethe

Sethe VIP Member

I feel them sometimes too. I have to look and check to make sure they are not there sometimes.

It usually happens when I'm nervous as heck.
    Abstract likes this.
  3. Heather

I'm sooo glad I'm not alone in this! What do you do Sethe?
  4. Sethe

Sethe VIP Member

Well, considering that it happened today near a coworker, I looked at my hand and arm.

I guess I suppress it a lot. I have some good 'denial skills.' :rolleyes: Sometimes I just scratch it. Sometimes I tend to flip out.

Soothing lotion helps. I used to spend time with my bird before he passed. He really helped me calm down.
    Heather likes this.
  5. Heather

I say we blame your coworker:eek::D.
  6. Sethe

Sethe VIP Member

Nah. This person is nice, but his/her size intimidates me a little.
  7. Brontie

Brontie New Member

Being over medicated can cause the sensation of something crawling just under the skin.
  8. Sethe

Sethe VIP Member

Hmm, what if you're not on anything?
    babette likes this.
  9. Heather

ok, sorry does she have an evil sister or cousin we can pin it on then? ANYBODY? Work with me here!;):D.
    I know, my mom is evil.....we'll say it's her fault!:roflmao:
  10. Grace11

Grace11 New Member

Have you tried any relaxation CDs? My T gave me quite a collection. They have been helpful and actually make me relax when I need to do so. I burned a few for my sister recently and she said they have been good - she is pregnant and cannot take meds for anxiety.
  11. Abstract

Abstract VIP Member Premium Member

I was convinced there were bugs on me or biting me for ages and then realised it was psychological. And anxiety related.

I used body cream. Does not help much but makes me "cleaner". I also find keeping my body cool improves it a bit.
    I hate it actually.

Good luck, Heather!
    Sethe and Heather like this.
  12. Brontie

Brontie New Member

Sethe,

I'm not on anything either.
    Some foods can also do that.
    Something you may be allergic to but don't realise it.
    I expect there are other reasons too.
    These are the ones I’m aware of.
  13. Ted Moen

Ted Moen New Member

Self talk and checking stuff out is how I handle the feeling of bugs crawling around on me. I remind myself the feeling is probably an anxiety thing and lightly scratch the area just to make sure there is no real bug there. Then I either go back to what I was doing or, if the feeling is really persistant, ask myself what's really bothering me and see what thoughts come up.

Ted
    Sethe, Abstract and Brontie like this.
  14. KP the nut

KP the nut Prettiest Duck in the Bath Staff Member Premium Member

My skin crawls if I'm too hot, or cold or........

A not too hot shower helps and body lotion. Not a lot of help if you are at work, unless you want to scare your nice co worker :eek:. Keeping cream or lotion to hand may help
  15. Sethe

Sethe VIP Member

Actually, right now I'm wearing a 'moisturizing face mask' and my skin is a little itchy. It's nice and worth it in the end, but maybe the feeling of something 'different' on my skin is causing the slight itch. I suppose food, the weather, humidity levels, etc could also affect it (if looking for non-psychological reasons).
  16. Heather

AAuuuggghh! The bugs are back. I hate this! I want to cry.
  17. KP the nut

KP the nut Prettiest Duck in the Bath Staff Member Premium Member

((((Heather))))

Breathe, it isn't real. You are safe. I'm with you. Use nice body lotion, relax and breathe.
    Abstract and Heather like this.
  18. Heather

Thanks Kath. None of this stuff is working!!! I feel like I'm losing my mind. I just want to cry. Actually that's all I've been doing. I talked to my therapist earlier. That always helps but tomorrow he'll be at some dumb training.

I hate my life.
  19. Heather

Aaauuugghhh! I can't stand this! I wish I was dead!
  20. The Albatross

The Albatross A product of decisions rather than circumstances Premium Member

(((Heather))) When I get that way I do things... Sing really loud off key, jump up and down on my mini trampoline to M.C. Hammer's can't touch this. Or have a bubble bath, put my aroma therapy in it and wear my tiara (yes I have a tiara and I use it... I got it for my birthday from my mother last year. She has two).

If I can't relax, I use the adreneline (spelling?) to move. Distracting myself and forcing the focus somewhere else helps it pass.
  21. Abstract

Hi Heather,
    I hope you are feeling better.

It is horrible horrible horrible. I had a really bad attack of it the other day again.
    It always seems to come with extreme anxiety.
    I know it seems impossible but concentrate on your breathing; stay aware of your thoughts and make sure they are not making things worse; wear something cool cotton and flowey; keep cool; write out your thoughts and vent.

Take care.
    Heather and The Albatross like this.
  22. Heather

Nothing helps!!!!!!!! :cry:
  23. NIKI

NIKI I want to be the person my dog thinks I am. Premium Member

What about taking a Benadryl? That might help with the itching. Just an idea :0)
    Heather likes this.
  24. Abstract

Sorry to hear that Heather. :(

What about this as a challenge for you?
    Can you write an enormously long post telling us what you are feeling physically and emotionally? Also anything in your day that may have set this off? Make it really long and use nice strong emotional words and smilies. :mad::confused::cautious::cry::tdown::(
    What emotions are you feeling and can you imagine a river running past you? There are green trees around it.

Can you imagine placing the overwelming feelings in the river on a leaf and then watching them gently float off? Just watch them flow down the river whilst still staying aware of how you feel.
    KP the nut likes this.