1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

I Got A Job!

Discussion in 'Social' started by batgirl, Mar 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

I was going to wait a bit before telling everyone this but I got offered a job with a major comic book publisher, and I've accepted! About 6 weeks ago I sent off some of my work to several publishers, thanks to the encouragement of Anthony and my family. I wasn't asking for employment, I just wanted some editors' opinions of my work. Then the other day an editor actually telephoned me and offered me a job as an inker! It's an incredible opportunity, and I can work from home. So my physical health and PTSD isn't a problem. I draw and ink all day long anyways, so my family said I might as well get paid for it!

Anyways I'm totally excited and I feel like shrieking about it off and on all the time. The shrieking is driving my uncle crazy haha.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!!!!:eek:ccasion: I am glad you got a job, and you can work from home... It is an amazing oppurtunity. I hope you will like it, since the work can make you really happy - it is my own experience.
    You are doing really really great, and your family and friends have all the reasons to be proud of you. :thumbs-up
    Could you just explain me - who is an inker?

4. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Thanks Linda. :)

To answer your question, in the comic book industry, usually more than one person produces a comic, primarily because of time factors. If comics are part of a series, they are usually released monthly. One person could not do all the work in that short period of time. So, several people are involved in the creation of the comic: the writer, the penciller (or artist), the inker, the colourist and the letterer. The writer writes the script, obviously. The penciller sketches the pages based on the writer's script. The inker (that's me) then inks in the penciller's work (using india ink generally), adds depth and details. The colourist then colours the work, and the letterer adds the dialogue to those little balloons. I'm including three examples of images here for you, from the same comic book. The first is the penciller, and the second is that of an inker, and the third is the colourist. Sorry I couldn't find the exact same image in various stages of production, but you get the general idea. Hope that helps to explain things.

And I hope these attachments aren't too big btw!!

Attached Files:

5. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

You go, girl!!!!! The comic book publisher's response to your work is a testament to your wonderful talent.

This is great news!!! Shrieking along with you.

6. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

Wow, this is interesting job, requiring a talent. Double congradulations on that! :claps:

7. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

i am so happy for you, evie. it will be good for you, i think.
    cathy

8. kers

kers I'm a VIP

Congratulations! What an awesome, fun opportunity for you. I'm so stoked on your behalf.

My former neighbor was a comic artist. He always had FedEx coming and going from the house. I was jealous that he worked from home!

9. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Thanks everyone. I am still totally excited, still shrieking, to the dismay of my poor uncle. And yes kers, I'm going to have FedEx coming to my house all the time too haha. I'm hoping the pressure of the job won't be too much for me.

10. Portabella

Portabella Well-Known Member

Congrats.....Evie, no one could ever doubt your gift. Now you can flaunt it....Woo Hoo!!!! I am so happy for you....

11. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Oh wow congratulations, that's brilliant!!!! First time I've smiled all day! I'm so so pleased for you, you couldn't get a better offer I guess!

Good luck, Evie :)

Lisa

12. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Well, you already know my response Evie, but for here, well done and I always knew your true potential, it was just a matter of you knowing it. Now you do... well done on your excellent efforts to cross and find new boundaries for yourself.

13. nugget

nugget Well-Known Member

Well done Evie good to hear, and from Nugget & Humphrey you go f--k that dog. Then slip down to Tim Hortons and have a coffee and send me the bill