1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

I had to put my cat down today

Discussion in 'Death' started by Cannottakethis, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Cannottakethis

Cannottakethis Well-Known Member

I’ve had my cats for 14 1/2 years. Their names are snickers and Kitcat. Kitcat was my boy, and orange tabby and his sister is a gray tabby. They are littermates. Kitcat has been losing weight, they found a small mass in his abdomen last month and put him on steroids. The steroids made him sick and have diarrhea so I stop them and try to give him kitten food so he would have extra nutrition. That didn’t work either and also made him sick so I started giving him Pedialyte so he wouldn’t get dehydrated. It wasn’t working and he lost more weight. He went from 8 pounds in April to 6 pounds in the beginning of October and he weighed 3 1/2 pounds today at the vet. The vet said that the mass was cancer and that there wasn’t anything that could be done unless I wanted to start doing ultrasounds in chemo and things that I just can’t afford. I’m getting divorced next week and starting a new job. I wouldn’t be able to be home with him all the time like I have been. It’s very strange to be sad and actually feel entitled to this feeling. It’s horrible to feel this way with all the other losses going on my life. I know I did the right thing because he wasn’t doing well, he was in pain and very lethargic. My poor sweet baby is in a better place but I am just so so sad. HIs sister looking for him now. Her daddy left and now her brother. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JadesJewel, Crow and intothelight like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. ladee

ladee All the hard work has been worth it ! Premium Member

I am so sorry you had to make that choice. My girl was 24 yrs old. She started having seizures.
    My heart hurts for the empty spot your boy has left. On top of everything else you have going on , I do understand.
    Sending you gentle hugs.

4. Crow

Crow Nevertheless, she persisted. Premium Member Sponsor $100+

So so sorry for your family's loss. Lots of love & light to both you and Snickers.

5. EveHarrington

EveHarrington I'm a VIP Premium Member

Hugs.

Cannottakethis and JadesJewel like this.
  6. Freida

Freida Been There, Done That, Lived to Tell the Story Premium Member

I'm so sorry for you..... that sucks

Cannottakethis, ladee and JadesJewel like this.
  7. JadesJewel

JadesJewel I'm a VIP Premium Member Donated

So very sorry for your loss of Kitcat @Cannottakethis. I had to have my female Maltese put down many years ago...her ashes are still and will remain on my coffee table. (Hugs!).

Cannottakethis and ladee like this.