• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I Need Attention

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm being taken off one med and put onto another. Unfortunately, the new med only dandles one of the two things that the old one handled, so I am feeling a lot of anxiety about the change as well as just plain old anxiety, because the old med handled that too. I cannot tell which kind of anxiety I am feeling either: the one that was being handled or the one that is about all the new stuff that has come up in my life since this med change has started. Does that sound confusing? It is to me either way I read it, because I am so unsure of my emotions in general these days.

I always want attention but I don't know how to ask for it. When I was in an IP ward I used to sit outside the office in the hope that my Keyworker would come out and give me some. But she didn't because she is not psychic!

I'm getting better at asking for it though, but when I need it the most I lose the ability to talk. Which is great(!)

Yes we all need attention, but there is a limit to what is healthy. When it turns to seeking attention to gain sympathy it can leave you stuck in that frame of mind and not aid you in recovery....and that's why we are all here, to help us in recovery? Having this thread is a great idea...make us aware we are doing it and as we progress will see that we need to do it less often. I know what I am learning on here I am working at applying it in my real life, and making progress. Sympathy is one of those things...when it's appropriate to give it. Reading back on Anthony's thread on it made total sense to me, as that's what I accept from others but always had a problem with holding back on other people.....I am not helping others or myself by dishing it out inappropriately.

@rightkindofme you can have loads of attentions from me!
You have my full attention right now! ;)

I do like this thread. Even though I am okay now.
I think it also depends on whether or not one is getting actual attention from the outside world. In weeks where I see a lot of people, I am not that hungry for attention. But if I go like a month without socializing I also feel like yelling for it.

@SheilaKathy
I find your post easy to read, and I can relate to you. Been skipping on and off meds lately, trying to manage anything. Stopping now but anxiety been bumping around.

@Polly_pocket
Yes, I know the feeling. I feel unworthy and don't want to ask, so I don't. Then I eventually breakdown, cry and brainstorm, or something. I feel bad if I ask for something and always feel need to justify myself. :hug:s if you accept

@Solara
Which one, I came to count up 3. :p

I'd like someone to notice how I just cope and cope and cope. Go to work, go to therapy, be functional, move ahead, get better. And all the while, just keep up the coping and that's what life is, on and on and on. One thing after another coming in huge waves and knocking me around - but, don't ya know, look at how well I've coped. (and coped and coped).
What the heck is wrong with me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back