1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

I Survived A DriveBy Shooting

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by CiCi, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CiCi

CiCi New Member

I am new here. I recently was shot as my daughter and I were riding our bikes. I was shot from behind and the bullet went in the inside of my arm and travelled down the muscle of my forearm where it remains.
    We live in a relatively quiet suburb where nothing like this has ever happened. We are all in shock.
    My daughter and I have trouble sleeping and she crawls to her bed at night so she doesn't 'pass the window'. She's 17. She was hysterrical when it happened and remembers all the blood and how no one would stop to help when she screamed at motorists to stop.
    I know how she feels.
    I am recovering physically, but feel very jumpy and can't concentrate. When I close my eyes I see the car and hear the BANG. And the blood pulsing from my arm.
    We have always been bicyclists, but now I can't imagine ever riding again. I am so angry! I feel paralyzed and powerless. But mostly, I want to help my daughter.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Miander

Miander Active Member

Things will get better

CiCi- I too am new here and am conflicted about posting a reply, but hopefully I can help in some small way. I am a survivor of a restaurant robbery where 3 people were shot and 2 died. I wasn't shot myself but one of the robbers grabbed me and threw me in a walk-in refridgerator. This happend to me 15 years ago and I am pretty much over the worst of the symptoms. All I can do is tell you what I know worked/would've worked for me and hope that it will help you and your daughter. You absoloutely must get the both of you into counseling (and any other family members), someone with PTSD experience is a must. Consider medication at first, it will help with the anxiety and panic attacks a little and can also help with sleep problems. I think it is also important to also help your daughter by being strong for her, if she see that you are still affected I think it will worsen her trauma. I understand how you feel about bicycling, but you must get over that fear and don't let your assailant take that joy from you. Educate yourself as much as you can about PTSD because it will help you and your daughter if you know more about it. Be there for her when she's suffering the symptoms, it will help you both. Most of all, know that things will get easier. I hope this helps in some way, hang in there.

4. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Are you currently in threapy? From what I gather the sooner the better you both are in threapy the less of a chance of suffering long term effects. You said it happened recently, so I ask. I am new here too.

Sorry you had to go through that, the world is full of lunatics. Were they able to find the car/person responsible? I hope you find healing for you both.

5. Farmer

Farmer Active Member

Hello CiCi. This is a wonderfull place to get advice and to vent, it was kind of strange at first everyone seems to care and understand.

6. Nam

Nam I'm a VIP

Hi CiCi, Welcome aboard. This forum has helped me tremendously and hope the same for you. Also, invite your daughter to participate on here too if she is willing. We hope you find some healing soon.

Nam

7. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Hi CiCi,

Welcome to the forum. Firstly, that just sucks beyond belief. What Nam said... too many lunatics in this damn world. Secondly... if this is just recent, then chances are you may not have PTSD as such, instead PTSS as the initial response, being you have some of the symptoms, though if treated now, and ongoing for a considerable duration, you may avoid an actual diagnosis of PTSD, being non-curable, oppossed to PTSS, being curable.

As others have stated already, I can't stress enough how important it is for you to get into weekly counselling NOW, not next week, not in a months time, NOW. What can be solved and the trauma ridden from you now, compared to life with full-scale PTSD in a years time, is just not worth it. You have the option to knock this on the head now, basically speaking, or possibly suffer the worst of what could come, and your life will no longer be anything like it is now.

Its ok to be angry about what happened CiCi, it is a normal response of emotions. What you need to recognise though, is that anger is caused by emotions, so you need to rectify the unerpinning issues that are striking the emotions to cause anger. You MUST get back onto a pushbike and ride again, as this will increase your recovery quickly. Yes, it is going to push your fear and anxiety buttons, but they will subside if your mentally prepared to not be beaten by this event. Its like falling of a horse, you need to get back on before its too late.

I'm glad your here CiCi, and look forward to chatting with you about your problems, and hopefully the community might be able to provide you some resolve from their own experiences. Its amazing just how much you can gain from reading others experiences, both positive and negative, to help the healing and recovery process.