• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I talked about the trauma to a psychiatrist without showing any distress or emotions..

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mopuz

hi
I seen psychiatrist week for my on-going PTSD and dissociation and she talked me through the trauma and asked how the emdr was going etc,.my partner had already been chatting to her before hand.
She wrote back to my doctor and said that I did not show any distress when talking about the trauma??
I have this a few years now and at the time I found it very hard to talk about.should I of broke down crying in front of her.....I just have no feelings towards anything now

We just go numb... I am there right now... we can only take so much.... or give so much... and besides, it's your journey, you do it how it is right for you.... !!!

I agree with Tazok. Flat affect, very common, and self defence.

I agree with everyone else that it's very common. It can be information that is valuable for your doctor to know without your psychiatrist saying it as making a judgement about you, your trauma, and how you react to it.

wrote back to my doctor and said...I did not show any distress when talking about the trauma??

Yes. For me it was needing to be in control and numbing all jumbled up together.

Be proud that you can speak. Some of us aren't there yet. ;-)

I remember when my journey started and I couldn't talk about my perp and the horrors I witnessed. I had no words for what happened. It took me 21 years in therapy to finally talk about it. And it wasn't easy then.

Yes, I can relate to the above posts. Showing emotion is very scary, to me when I show emotion I feel a lack of control. Because, of this fear I often emotionally numb/minimize in order to protect myself from being too vulnerable.

It took me over 20 years to finally let the wall down and let someone in. I still feel soo numb & have that flat affect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back