• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I Think I Finally Get It - The Penny Drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roobear

New Here
It's been so long since I've posted anything but today I just had something so great to share. I've been dealing with ptsd for the last eight years on my own because therapy and drugs didn't help. Time has helped allot but I still struggle with making sense of the violence, suffering, and loss of life that caused my trauma.

Today a light bulb went off as I was reading this wonderful little book for grad school. I have ptsd because I couldn't wrap my head around my trauma and I couldn't get better because I didn't want to be able to understand and make sense of someone being murdered. After reading the book I realized that if you can put meaning to suffering than you can look at it in a new way that may bring some understanding.

Also that staying somewhat of a recluse may make me feel more safe, but I'm not really living my life, it's as if I'm already dead. However by going out and experiencing life maybe more risky, if I do die than at least I'll have felt like I lived my life with meaning so my life will not have been short lived.

I had no idea that a little book could really help put things into clear perspective. It was so inspirational and just seemed to fit so perfectly in helping me with ptsd and to understand how to make sense of pain and suffering in life. This is by far the best book I have ever read (granted I'm only 27) . The book is called Man's Search for Meaning by Victor Frankl. (It's not a ptsd self help book.) Check it out; it makes a great rainy day read.

Reactions: nie
Today a light bulb went off as I was reading this wonderful little book for grad school. I have ptsd because I couldn't wrap my head around my trauma and I couldn't get better because I didn't want to be able to understand and make sense of someone being murdered. After reading the book I realized that if you can put meaning to suffering than you can look at it in a new way that may bring some understanding.

I hope what you worked out today Roobear helps you move forward so you can live your life. Happy for you!

Roobear, well done. Quite amazing when things just click for you ha? It gives you a sense of purpose, a goal, a direction that you know you must now travel, instead of chasing your tail so to speak. Well done and you are spot on the nose with what you said, I certainly totally agree and damn well said. Well done!

Hi Roobear,I've read that book and it was amazing.It was hard for me to get my head around just what they went through in those camps and put a bit of perspective on my own trials.What a concept that what goes on external to our internal world is an illusion and that our suffering can increase the compassion that we feel for all humankind or what-ever purpose you may find in your suffering.I guess the purpose of his suffering was to give the world exastentualism.Just amazing.socrates70

Thanks for this post. I read that book in college - It's still on my bookshelf! I'm looking for resources right now so I will give that one a re-read!
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back