• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

MVA I Thought It Was Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

babyblue

New Here
It'd been about 4 months since I had any flashbacks of my wreck and no nightmares in I don't know how long. Saturday night that changed. I woke my boyfriend at 4am screaming because I couldn't wake up from a nightmare. I relived my wreck completely before he got me to wake up. I feel so bad he didn't even know I had these issues and I thought they were over with. I thought I could be ok for once. I tried to lighten up and have a good time meeting his friends for the first time. I guess drinking is out of the question again for a while. I feel like such a bad person.

It is good that you preface your post by acknowledging that it had been about 4 months (which is a pretty good stretch) between your flashbacks or nightmares. :tup::tup::tup:

Am I understanding that you may be connecting that alcohol may have played a roll in the occurrence? (toward the end of your post)... if so, yeah it's entirely likely.

I drank back in October with no problem. Just as much if not more at my brother's wedding don't understand why this time my brain couldn't handle it

There could be lots of reasons why it affected you this time in a way it didn't before. I don't know your gender but hormonal differences across a woman's menstrual cycle can impact both the way they metabolise alcohol and their emotional state which could lead to flashbacks, there might be something about the people you were with, the place you were that reminded you of your trauma or you might have been a bit more tired - could be anything if a hundred things. Knowing our triggers can be a real process of learning and adapting with lots of wrong turns along the way - lots of trial and error.

I've found that keeling an eye out for patterns can help me start to see common themes etc. Be kind to yourself and try not to worry that it's the start of a new set of symptoms because it may not be.

Since my night mares stopped(nightly) about 6 months ago I've noticed around the 16th (the day it happened) of any month weather I'm paying attention or not to the date, I'm not myself mentally or emotionally. I was around an entirely new group of people that night besides my boyfriend and it wasn't the first time we drank together but was the first time at his house over night. I'm not sure if it could have been the new place or not I'm so confused now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back