• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I Wish I Had Faith - God Or Myself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, thought... there are even people here who are here, now with a different frame of mind about their own prior beliefs, for nothing more than discovering themselves that if they don't action things, if they don't take control, if they don't start believing in themselves more than any other, they are not going to get better, as they have already wasted decades or more waiting on religion or their minister telling them god will save them and take away their pain, blah blah... yer, once their dead and had a shit life and may as well have just been dead to begin with. Screw that... I don't believe in all this stuff, and I healed myself from belief in myself, faith in my own ability, not anothers. How... mental toughness is one key to it. The ability to mentally talk myself through things, pull things apart and fight for what I knew existed... my life awaiting me. God didn't help one bit... sorry!

ok, anthony, you misunderstood that statement. I was asking what he based his assumption on that Christians were ignorant of science. I never said , nor never will that anyone is ignorant of something, that was my very point. He had made that statement, and the one about people basing their religion on how much money they had. NOT ME. I am not in a cult, lol, there are some out there, agreed. You feel free to believe the way you do, but you seem very defensive, maybe even a little offensive to let me do the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish it was that way in all church's. I was raised Roman Catholic, went through years of Catacism (If I spelled it wrong sorry). I was forced by my Mother to continue in Catacism even after my Confirmation, when most other kids got to stop the learning process. I have questioned what has been taught to me since, well about 8 years old. Pissed my Mom off repeatedly. But....I realized that prayer got me really no where. I would miss confession on Saturday and refuse to take Communion as taught, only to see Hypocrites lined up for communion that were not with their wives at the bar the night before, if you get me. I really don't know exactly what I believe in, I believe in positive energy, which I guess is similar to prayer. But...I am a "show me" kind of person and sadly, I have never seem God or Jesus. Sorry.

Sorry Cathy, I was exerting my opinion over my interpretation of what you said in relation to religion and science. My mistake, not yours.

Religion and money though... the USA screwed that for their entire country, by putting that simple statement on money, "In God We Trust". A little cultish don't you think? Kind off makes it difficult to allow people to make their own decisions when they look at money every day with that statement upon it???

Nost people don't even know it's on the money, and the ones that do, don't care. Do you really think a thing like that would influence someone? I think not. Someone of any religion could use that slogan with no problem. It was a noble effort when done over 200 yrs ago, but it's certainly not true any more. How many times when you are spending money, do you actually read anything more than the denomination (amount) on it? hmmmm? and no, it's not cultish... this country was founded on christian values, but freedom of religion. It is just a reflection of that. I wish it would have some effect on people, but it doesn't. mac was talking about people only believing in God if they were financially well of, I assume. very not true, though. wealthy people don't feel like they need or have time for God very often.

I am a religious person. I believe in God, I'm active in my church and I tried to raise my children with the same ideals. But once children are grown they must make their own choices, mistakes and so forth, and decide for themselves what to believe. I made my own decisions as an adult, it's helped to shape who I am and I'm not about to deprive my children or other adults of that right to make up their own minds. I strongly disagree with "evangelizing" or whatever you wish to call it. Honestly it's quite annoying to be told you should believe in God or have faith, and that your life will be better if you do.

The truth is, your life may not be any better with God in it. That is a myth. There are many God-fearing people who have tragic lives. First and foremost, one needs to believe in themself, and help themself, not simply rely on God or the church. Many people use the church as a crutch, relying on it totally and without questioning, and I believe that's wrong.

For me the church is an addition to the life I have already created for myself. God helps those who help themselves as the saying goes. Especially someone with PTSD such as my niece, hates to be told "give faith a chance". My husband would like to force her to church, and has learned the hard way that it doesn't work. She needs to sort it all out for herself. And if she nevers comes back to the church but is happy and has a good life, then I am happy too. I couldn't ask for anything more than that.

I wish I had faith in God. At one time I did, but with all the evil and suffering of the innocent that goes on throughout the world, I cannot maintain any such faith anymore. My mind does not comprehend how God would let man's free-will trump what's supposed to be His will. When you look at other societies and cultures, it's not difficult to see why the old explanation of religion as mearly a 'means to control the masses' is so valid.

This topic resonates deeply with me.

I just got back from an AA meeting. 2 days clean, bit over a year sober, but that doesn't really count does it :)

I've been in and out of the program since about 14. Stayed clean and sober for three years once. That ended while I was in Afghanistan. Really got trounced once I got home.

I have a hard time after the things I've seen, and the things I have done, accepting that a loving involved god could be real. I have a need for a higher power I don't seem to be able to make a personal contact with right now.

I was told to pray for faith, and thats what I'm going to do, I guess it's all I can do today.

Today I'm sober and clean. Today I didn't let PTSD hurt my family, my career or my friendships. I haven't always been able to say that.

"I was told to pray for faith, and thats what I'm going to do, I guess it's all I can do today."

Pray for faith... that is my prayer too.

If religion were simply meant to control the masses, religion would have given up by now! But it hasn't given up at all, because God wants a personal relationship with folks, He loves them; He loves us!

When we get close to God, He helps us to live better lives. The masses don't get close to God because they want to do whatever they want to do. Yes, He allows that. He didn't make us into robots! He isn't looking for robotic friends, but He does want us to be His friends. However, He leaves the CHOICE to us, because let's face it, you cannot force anyone to love you anymore than God can force us to love Him! He didn't make us that way. It would have been no fun for Him that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back