• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Death Ideas For When Your Pet Dies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@twodogcircus, love your name and the pic!

Thanks for writing, I haven't been on for awhile and just saw this:), been camping to deal with PTSD. Helps me to continue processing and working on my cope ahead plan. I can so relate to what u said about when your dog died, beyond sucks when they have been with us day in day out, our lifeline.

Thank you for the rainbow bridge referral I will look them up for sure, so nice your mom doing that:). That's so funny with your doggy from the shelter with the attachment issues, I feel that way sometimes over protective, scared and ready to fight, bless u for keeping them!

This cope ahead idea was one of my better ideas, it has really moved me along, I shudder to think what could have happened if she had died suddenly. Anyway it will help me to write the process I have gone through and what I need to keep working on. When she quit eating, I freaked it had never occurred to me I was probably going to have a life without her. I would totally melt down, I was starting to think I might have to be in a structured environment after to function. I did go "home" where my family is to see if that would be an option it is not. Current plan is to check into a motel for a couple of weeks.

What it came it down to for me was really assessing, digging deeper into my spiritual beliefs, trying to make a plan for her body forced this issue, no way around it. It was not easy but very valuable, the biggest lesson I got out of that was the reminder that nothing is permanent in this life and with my issues that is a hard pill to swallow but it is reality and the closer I live to reality the easier things are going to be.

when I am not too overwhelmed I think on this subject, I could do a little better accepting the sadness that comes with it, not blocking it or being overwhelmed by it, then when Thea goes I will be more practiced in this. That is my goal is to simulate the situation now, while stable, try out strategies and resources that I can use when she goes. I am taking more videos along with pictures, I spend more time enjoying her, been combining mindfulness walking mediation and walking her. I still need to find a site where I can talk about it at length with others going through the same, this always helps me the most, knowing others are going through it. I will go look at rainbow bridge after this.

I need to continue visualizing what I will do the day she goes until I have it automatic, no time to be making decisions I could regret. Heard the song "spirt in the sky" today and think I will put that on my phone.

Thanks again for writing really appreciate it, I hope your fear with your two gets easier too, if u come up with things that work, please let me know! Through researching this I can see we have added challenges, it is soooo hard for everyone to lose an animal but for many of us they are our primary support with a really difficult disorder often involving trust and when they go we will be challenged to find ways to cope. Wishing you the best!

I'm now mentally petrified of my dog losses, I have 4 currently.

If I don't stop myself at night, I'll suffer chest pain and anxiety attacks thinking about it. I simply have to stop the negative thoughts, I have to use the in this moment mentality, not think of tomorrow, not think of next week. Some nights bring nightmares of my k9 losses, definitely knocks me down a bit.

Seeing the promos for the k9 movie Meghan Leavy last night sent me right into the hole again,after having been doing pretty well.

My best advice, is to touch, feel, interact in this exact moment.. don't worry about tomorrow....it doesn't exist, nor does yesterday..... just today, this exact conscious moment.

But if preparing mentally works for you, that's awesome. Any tool that allows you to enjoy your time together is gold. God bless and good luck.

I can't read this thread beyond the first post.

All my dogs have been cremated....I have my first dog in my room, my mom has my second dog. Everyone in my family cremated their dogs. I guess so we can always have them with us?

:hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back